It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:10 am


All times are UTC + 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: new chest rig
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:10 am 
Part of the furniture

Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:42 pm
Posts: 417
Location: the school house
Here's a chest rig I made for a friend of mine. He had a custom rig from another company made for .308 magazines and asked if I could make a similar rig for 5.56. I happily obliged.

Holds 4x 5.56 magazines, has 2x large GP pockets on either end (one with a multitool pouch), 1x small GP on the left front, 1x medium GP on the right front. There is also a 2x2 MOLLE grid on the front as well as on each large GP pocket.

Material is Multicam Litelock, standard webbing, etc...#10 zipper in the front with g-hooks for secondary closure and adjustment.

Relatively painless process, a lot of new techniques for me on this one. I usually box my mag pouches; here I did the pinch method. Same with the large GP pockets; these were done using the "t" pouch method. Also, the lids for the pockets are folded Litelock which is pretty cool.

Pics

Image

Image


Last edited by horsefighting on Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: new chest rig
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:35 am 
I can't work for assholes
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 8:18 am
Posts: 975
Location: Back in 'Murica...
Looks great!


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: new chest rig
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:05 pm 
I can't work for assholes
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:21 am
Posts: 1163
Location: Canada
Looks great!

I do wonder one thing though (and that's common among split-front rigs, not just yours): would it have been possible to have a smaller gap around the zipper? That looks about one mag wide which is fairly significant (maybe it's just because I'm a small guy haha).

_________________
This link isn't porn.

"Inspirational quote. "
- Celebrity


Last edited by Conker on Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: new chest rig
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:33 pm 
I can't work for assholes
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:34 am
Posts: 807
Location: Not Norway
It is. I made a rig with a #10 zipper, and I think the total gap between the 2 pouches on each side was a max of 1". Zipper feet help a lot when it comes to getting everything tight.
Mine doesn't have the G hooks though, and I don't think there would be room it that's a requirement.

_________________
Nora Tactical


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: new chest rig
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:37 pm 
Earning his keep
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:48 pm
Posts: 239
Location: France
Conker wrote:
Looks great!

I do wonder one thing though (and that's common among split-front rigs, not just yours): would it have been possible to have a smaller gap around the zipper? That looks about one mag wide which is fairly significant (maybe it's just because I'm a small guy haha).


One of the main difference between LBT 1961G and EI MPCR split chest rig, so yes it is possible :)

Honestly, I was as worry as you are about this gap, as I am not a big guy neither. However, when you put it on, the difference between the 2 systems is barely noticeable. I prefer the "no gap" look though.

_________________
A-SOC


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: new chest rig
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:33 pm 
Part of the furniture

Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:42 pm
Posts: 417
Location: the school house
Conker wrote:
Looks great!

I do wonder one thing though (and that's common among split-front rigs, not just yours): would it have been possible to have a smaller gap around the zipper? That looks about one mag wide which is fairly significant (maybe it's just because I'm a small guy haha).


I didn't think about it when doing this but yes, you can get the pockets closer together, especially without the g-hook tabs where they are. The only issue I would see, if you moved the pockets much closer you "may" have difficulty reaching/opening/closing the zipper. I haven't worked with any zipper front rigs to know the difference though.

Thanks for the feedback guys.


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: new chest rig
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:24 am 
I can't work for assholes
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:34 am
Posts: 807
Location: Not Norway
horsefighting wrote:
The only issue I would see, if you moved the pockets much closer you "may" have difficulty reaching/opening/closing the zipper.
I put on a small pull tab because of this. Or mainly because I used my rig during the winter with mittens I)

_________________
Nora Tactical


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: new chest rig
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:47 pm 
Quite OK actually
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:16 am
Posts: 157
Location: UK/ HRA
I like it, that's a pretty cool set up.

I have to say though as a scrawny mo fo, the advantage of the zip front is it takes up less real estate. Otherwise I'd go for fast ex or G hooks. But for regular sized folks or those in armour it doesn't really matter.

_________________
http://paladin-jobs.com/

http://britishtactical.com/


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: new chest rig
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:19 pm 
Earning his keep
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:16 pm
Posts: 326
Location: Czech Republic
Isn't litelok too soft for this use?


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: new chest rig
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:31 am 
Part of the furniture

Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:42 pm
Posts: 417
Location: the school house
Danny Jefferson wrote:
Isn't litelok too soft for this use?


no way. here's a report on its strength etc... http://duroindustries.com.s134272.grids ... report.pdf

and 500d cordura
http://duroindustries.com.s134272.grids ... lticam.pdf

it's about 30% lighter than 500d and pretty damn abrasion resistant. it's a pain to work with, especially with my old Singer, but I've done a couple rigs and pouches in it for friends of mine last year and they've yet to break it.

500d Crye MultiCam:
Finished Width - 60 inches cuttable
Finished Weight - 7.1 oz/yd² approximately
Fiber Content - 100% Nylon
Construction - 46/35 (warp/fill)
Breaking Strength - 453/348 (warp/fill) (lbs., minimum)

Litelok
Finished Width – 59 inches cuttable
Finished Weight – 5.4 oz/yd² approximately
Fiber Content – 100% nylon
Breaking Strength – 150/200 (warp/fill) (lbs, approximate)
Water Resistance – 127+ cm
Abrasion – may exceed 1300 cycles, H18 @500g


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: new chest rig
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:47 pm 
Earning his keep
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:16 pm
Posts: 326
Location: Czech Republic
No no, I know it's durable, I meant that it could be too loose and wont hold shape properly.


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: new chest rig
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:07 am 
Part of the furniture

Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:42 pm
Posts: 417
Location: the school house
ohhhh, gotcha. I don't think so. This rig is doesn't have any flop to it.

Here's the run down - I lined these mag pockets with 500d to hold shape and make it a little more tolerable to mags in/out.

On my normal mag pockets I'll sew either 1 inch webbing across the front top or 2 inch on the inside across the top. On a shingle it doesn't matter because when you sew your dividing lines it forces the fabric to bunch into the desired shape. Or you can sew 1.5 inch webbing to divide your mags. Either way, you're good to go.

Now on larger stuff, I can see it being a little "soft" but not to a degree that it affects the functionality.


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: new chest rig
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:36 am 
I can't work for assholes
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:34 am
Posts: 807
Location: Not Norway
I don't know what type of machine that would be the "correct" one for Litelok.. Walking foot doesn't really help, and in my experience Litelok shrinks quite a bit. Maybe an industrial machine for medium type fabrics would be nice? We got a ton (probably a couple of tons) worth of different machines here at school, so I could test it out once I can be bothered with ordering some materials.

And just because I'm too lazy to find it out on my own, how does it compare to 330D?
I've used it on PCs, a MAP and parts of a pack. It's kinda flimsy for packs, but it does the job. Only thing is that 2 layers of Litelok is still so thin that it's easy to catch the zipper slider and get stuck..

_________________
Nora Tactical


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: new chest rig
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:32 pm 
I can't work for assholes
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:21 am
Posts: 1163
Location: Canada
horsefighting wrote:
I didn't think about it when doing this but yes, you can get the pockets closer together, especially without the g-hook tabs where they are. The only issue I would see, if you moved the pockets much closer you "may" have difficulty reaching/opening/closing the zipper. I haven't worked with any zipper front rigs to know the difference though.

Yeah I can definitely see how the g-hooks make it harder to get the sides closer. A bigger zipper pull makes sense to keep it east to close.

@Le chtit: Now that you say it thats true! I never noticed that difference before.

_________________
This link isn't porn.

"Inspirational quote. "
- Celebrity


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: new chest rig
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:16 pm 
Part of the furniture

Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:42 pm
Posts: 417
Location: the school house
essal wrote:
And just because I'm too lazy to find it out on my own, how does it compare to 330D?


330d Cordura
Specs:
Finished Width – 60 inches cuttable
Finished Weight – 6 oz/yd² approximately
Fiber Content – 100% nylon
Construction – 60/40 (warp/fill)
Breaking Strength – 200/155 (warp/fill) (lbs, minimum)

330d compared to Litelok is pretty close in weight. 330d is still noticeably "heavier" because of thickness in material.

I had a lot of shrink issues with both with my old machine.

I don't think a walking foot would help. You'd probably need a unison/compound feed machine or a needle fed machine to make Litelok more friendly.


Top
Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Theme created StylerBB.net & kodeki