It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:50 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Tactical/rigid/rugged pens
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:25 pm 
The New Guy

This more like EDC kind of thing rather than tactical but I quess all rigid pens are under "tactical" category. In the woods I mostly use RiteInRain cheap plastic pens since they work in wet conditions, but those are not very rigid and especially the clip tends to break down very easily. In my daily basis job I need good pen everyday to write things up so it needs to stay in one piece and work flawlessly since I am not interested to stack pens all over my pocket's. It doesn't need to work in wet conditions since I am not writing anything outside if its raining. In last two years I have used some advertising pen which I get from somewhere that I cannot remember anymore and although it is cheap looking plastic pen it has not let me down even single time until now. It was caught to vehicle door and the clip snapped off.

So now I need to find a new pen which could replace the old one. And I am more than happy to hear if you have any high quality pens (like cnc machined or something) and where to get those. The pen cannot have any cap on it so it need to be the "normal" style so u just pop the tip out and pop it back in from the other end of the pen. Also the clip should be very tough (probably metal bolted or welded to the body), be cause if it snaps the pen is useless, since I am going to lost it very quickly. If anyone knows some place where to get titanium pens it would be fantastic since the titanium is pretty light material and also very rigid.

And I almost forgot to mention that the pen needs to be a ballpoint pen.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Tactical/rigid/rugged pens
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:43 pm 
Not completely useless

A pencil would work?

If it has to be a pen, how about a Parker Jotter or Vector?, they're refillable, quite sturdy, and not very expensive, so losing one is not big drama

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:56 pm 
Part of the furniture

How about Surefire? They're pretty darn expensive though...

http://www.surefire.com/other-equipment/pens.html

Gerber
http://www.gerbergear.com/Equipment/Pens/Tactical-Pen_31-001880

Uzi Tactical Pens
http://www.uzi.com/tactical-pens

Personally interested in the Gerber, but I guess a Staedtler ballpoint would do for me for now. :lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:56 am 
The New Guy

I have lost my pens only when the clip snaps off so it is not attached to my pocket anymore and that's the reason why I am not interested to use plastic pens anymore. Since I need a good pen everyday it must to be made out of metal.

And I didn't even think about Surefire would manufacturer some writing instruments, though they r only into light stuff. I have also tried many different manufacturers lights in my job and the Surefire is the only one that is still running like new, so if their pens are even close that tough than their lights are they probably going to last forever :mrgreen:

I also like a lot Gerber products (tools n knifes) so It would be nice to see what they have to offer for pen markets. Sadly if I type their website dot COM it redirect's me automatically to dot FI because my connection coming from Finland... And in the FI end site they don't have any pens to show so I cannot see their pens at all :( Probably need to dig out my VPN stuff to see one damn site and their products, why they just cant have main page where u could choose which region site you want to look at :|

Also after a little search in google I find out there are some shops (mostly in USA) which make custom pens, but almost all of them use some kind of "bolt action" mechanism in their pen. Which looks pretty cool but doesn't look like they function that easily as the normal clicky pen's :roll: Have any of you tried those bolt action pens, are they easy to use with one hand?

Offline Profile