It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 5:37 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Kelty Eagle 128
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:16 pm 
The New Guy

I'm considering buying one of these for work (light infantry, forests and stuff) because I'm drawn to the myriad external pockets, I could conceivably carry most of my essential gear on the outside of my ruck (ideal for the bush).
My only concern would be that all of the pockets on this pack are zippered with what looks to be no compression type backup straps as a safety net in case of zip failure. Now obviously I wouldn't be overloading the pockets to the extent to cause such a failure, but has anyone had any experience with this model pack and any issues surrounding zippers. Bearing in mind that the weight carried could be up to 25kgs?

Sorry for lack of photos, unsure how it works.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Kelty Eagle 128
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:08 am 
Quite OK actually

I have this pack, really like it. However, I rarely us it with the side pockets or extra top pocket attached. The capacity is so large I can only imagine needing that much space for 5 day treks.

Pros: Huge capacity, durable construction, lots of great pockets and dividers / features.

Cons: HEAVY (if you take off all of the external pockets, extra top compartment, and rain cover, it weighs less.) Some people don't feel the frame conforms to their shape in the right way.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:20 pm 
The New Guy

Thanks for that. Ended up going for a 1606 frame for our issue Alice pack, so will see how that goes.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:47 am 
Quite OK actually

That's wassup. Issue = free. There is a pretty thorough review I found for the pack later on nutnfancy's youtube channel. He basically agrees and elaborates. Im usually doing 2-3 days now so it's way too big for my usual and I'm a big mofo. I overpack every time. I'm going to get a very light very minimal Arxcy for my two days and get a 1 one man tent and bring my hammock. Trying to do a like 20 lb kit for 2 day pack included - water (instead of 50 lb like my overpacking ass has been) But then you always gotta figure at least a pint of whiskey each day. That's gotta add no matter what :D [8]=

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:22 am 
The New Guy

I felt the pack is robust but a bit heavy

Offline Profile