It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 9:42 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: K-9 Handler Plate Carrier Setup, My journey......
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:34 pm 
The New Guy

If this is in the wrong area please move. This is my journey looking for the right set-up for me.

My background:
I am a K-9 Handler for a Sheriff’s Office responsible for a 900 square mile county in Kansas. My partner; a dual-purpose Patrol/Narcotics Belgian Malinois, and I are assigned to Patrol. As we’re the sole K-9 Unit in the county we are available to assist all agencies within the county whether state, county or municipal. My partner and I are also used for SRT call-outs as well as outside agency assists.

PURPOSE:
The goal of this was to create a plate carrier/load-out that could be outfitted for the various needs that I have as a K-9 handler. This carrier will be used mostly for tactical operations such as SRT Call-outs, Warrant Service and off-duty call-outs.

PLATE CARRIER: LBT-6094B Ranger Green
The plate carrier is the basis for the entire loadout. While selecting my carrier, I wanted something that was light-weight, robust. The carrier had to be able to provide adequate protection while allowing maximum range of motion. I selected the London Bridge Trading, Inc. LBT-6094B, as this seem to be the best option for me. I purchased the carrier on sale from LBT for $299 plus S/H.
http://lbtinc.com/6094ss.html

PLATE CARRIER MODS:
Custom FirstSpear “Tubes” cummberbund modification. This modification will allow me to take the carrier on and off without having to remove my load-out from the front. Mod cost was $50 and cost of tubes from FirstSpear.

Purchased Chest Rig/ Armor Interface Kit from Down Range Gear. This kit will allow me to attach chest rigs directly to my plate carrier. Cost was $29.50 plus S/H from Down Range Gear.
http://www.downrangegear.net/Down_Range_Gear_Chest_Rig__Armor_Interface_Kit.html

PLATE CARRIER LOAD-OUT:
I wanted something that I was simple to interchange depending on the mission at hand and still was fairly low-profile. With this in mind, the normal method of attaching/detaching molle pouches to the carrier didn’t fit the bill any longer. Due to this, I considered attaching chest rigs to my carrier (i.e. Mayflower, Haley Strategic and others.)

Mayflower offers several choices of rigs. I looked and considered the following:

LE/Active Shooter Chest Rig is designed to carry the following: (4) 5.56mm magazines, (2) pistol magazines, (1) patrol radio, (1) baton, (1) OC canister or flashbang and has (3) small front GP pockets. $200
http://www.mayflower-rc.org/store/7034/10/LE-Active-Shooter-Chest-Rig.html

Pusher Chest Rig is designed to carry the following: issue radio (PRC-152, PRC-148, Motorola, or others), (4) rifle magazines (M4, 7.62x51 or 7.62x39 utilizing different inserts), (1) pistol magazine, med kit or SAT Antenna and a multitude of smaller items in the front four pouches. $230
http://www.mayflower-rc.org/store/7034/110/The-Pusher-Chest-Rig.html

I considered the following from Haley Strategic:
Disruptive Environment Chest Rig is designed to carry the following: (4) fully loaded magazines (M4, M16, AK), (2) Pistol Mags, (2) flapped GP Pouches for various items and (1) Stuff-It Pouch that can be used to hold a first-aid kit. $179
http://www.haleystrategic.com/d3cr/index.php

The issue that I saw with the above mentioned rigs was there was no room for modifications to “my” needs. I wanted something that “I” had options to make the rig work for me….enter the Extreme Gear Labs Variable Objective Chest Rig.

The VOCR comes in different configurations for left and right handed and different load-outs. I considered the following VOCR’s: http://www.extremegearlabs.com/chestrigs.html

Right Handed Variable Objective Chest Rig 3 Mag: designed to carry (3) M4 mags, (2) pistol mags, and has (1) STUFF-IT expandable pocket and (1) GP pocket. $195

Right Handed Variable Objective Chest Rig 4 Mag designed to carry (4) M4 mags, (2) pistol mags, and has (1) STUFF-IT expandable pocket and (2) GP pockets. $230

The benefit to the VOCR is that I could have it modified to fit my needs, which is what I did. Speaking with Darrin about my needs, he offered options and solutions.

I selected the following for my initial load-out of my plate carrier:

Right Handed Variable Objective Chest Rig 3 Mag with the following modification. Replace the (1) Stuff-it pouch with “Dark Pouch” modification. This mod turns the GP Pouch into a first-aid pouch. This rig will allow me to carry (3) M4 mags, (2) pistol mags, first-aid kit, and (1) GP Pouch for other items. $195 plus $40 (Dark Pouch)

This VOCR is just the 1st part of my load-out kit. I will be purchasing other rigs that will allow me to interchange my load-outs according to my requirements. The options are endless while running the same plate carrier as the base.

As of 4/16/2015, everything is on order. I will update this thread with photos and other information as I get everything put together.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: K-9 Handler Plate Carrier Setup, My journey......
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 12:08 am 
I can't work for assholes

Any updates?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 12:17 am 
The New Guy

Still in the progress of getting everything together. The mods to the 6094B have been completed, however I believe my project has become more diverse. I am considering a few additional plate carriers and compare them with one another in attempt to show the best option. The VOCR is on order and the Chest Rig/ Armor Interface Kit from Down Range Gear has arrived. It's all coming together, stay tuned.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:08 am 
The New Guy

I wanted to post an update to keep those that are following this up to speed. The modifications to the LBT-6094 were completed, the tubes make it easier to don/doff the vest. I currently have molle pouches on the vest as I am waiting for the VOCR to arrive.

184SFS wrote:
however I believe my project has become more diverse. I am considering a few additional plate carriers and compare them with one another in attempt to show the best option.

I placed an order with First Spear for the following:

Assaulter Armor Carrier (AAC) System with Deluxe Shoulder Pads and Overlap Cummerbund. http://www.first-spear.com/product.php?productid=17728&cat=272&page=1

I will be comparing these (2) vests to fit my needs. Sorry for the delay, hope to have some photos of the LBT here shortly.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: LBT-6094B with Tube Mod
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:39 pm 
The New Guy

I recently got my LBT-6094B back after having First Spear tubes installed. This is just a few pics of the vest with the mod as I haven't received all the other items to do a write up on my proposed K-9 setup. Stay tuned!

Here's the First Spear tube modification that was completed to the LBT-6094B. This mod allows me to put on & take off the vest quicker & easier.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:00 pm 
The New Guy

Sorry for the extended delay with this topic however I wanted to experiment with a couple of different vest setups. While working on my LBT-6094, I purchased a FirstSpear Assaulter Armor Carrier (AAC) System.

Some notes about the AAC. This is a nice designed rig that is extremely light weight, however after trying it for sometime I decided it wasn't what I was looking for as I preferred the fit & feel of the LBT-6094. This was a personal preference only, nothing against the AAC. With that in mind I would like to share my setup with you all.

I started with a basic LBT-6094B that I purchased from LBT directly. I acquired "Tubes" from FirstSpear, having these custom installed to the cumberbund of the LBT-6094. This allows me the perks of being able to put on and take of the vest without removing my loadout.

I removed the cumberbund flap from the front of the 6094, allowing a large area of hook velcro to be exposed where I could place my chest rigs with different loadout options.

The custom VOCR is attached directly to this velcro area using the chest rig interface kit.

With these "mods" to the 6094 I have gotten the vest I have been looking for, it's nothing special however it fits my needs by allowing me to choose between different chest rig loadout options that I can interchange as needed.

I will continue to update this post as I get more time and photos of this setup being used. Time here lately has been extremely limited. If you have any questions or comments, please let me know.

Offline Profile