It is currently Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:57 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Re: Eagle Aero (SOFBAV) - What I Think
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:21 am 
Part of the furniture

That's sweet pkm! Thanks for doing that!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:47 am 
I can't work for assholes

Cracked the code on integrating the CHIEF load lifter frame to a Crye armored belt. Once the necessary grommet shows up I'll make a tutorial. If you can find or buy a CHIEF load lifter from Eagle or the internet, this is a pretty awesome system. Better, IMO, then the Crye StKSS or Tyr X-Frame systems.

Also got some pricing from Eagle:
-Triple FB front flap - $129.99
-MPCR front flap - $149.99

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:54 pm 

Modified a Crye high-back blast belt to integrate with the CHIEF system. Full range of motion, full soft armor coverage, with only a small gap above the belt. Easy to do, it took me all of 20 minutes.

Basically:
1. Remove the armor and belt.
2. Make a small hole where you want your grommet to be. Now make four small snips to help the material accommodate the 3/8" (#2) grommet.
3. Using 1/8" HDPE sheeting, cut out into a roughly oval shape. This will help spread the load from one central point. Drill a 1/2" hole in it to fit the outer diameter of the 3/8" grommet.
4. Stack the sheeting on top of the belt (on the inside, facing where the armor would go) and attach the grommet.

You can now reassemble the belt and armor, making sure to attach the CHIEF before inserting the armor. This will also replace the rear Crye pad with the lumbar support from the CHIEF belt.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:08 am 
The New Guy

Thanks for the write up. We are making another load lift panel for this vest. Can you tell me how wide the chief frame is?

Thanks

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:43 pm 

AttackPAK - the load lifter panel is 9" across.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:27 pm 
The New Guy

Thanks PKM

You mentioned stiff to move in. If you could improve anything else, what would you improve?

Do you like how it functions with the Crye belt?

How easily can you adjust the size? Once you get it fitted correctly, do you need to adjust size for any other reason?

Thanks for taking time to measure! You rock.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:45 pm 

Hmmm...

Stiff to move in as much as any other system where you've got a plates on your front, back, and sides and a frame that transfers the weight to the belt - much like the (discontinued?) LBT load lifter that they used to offer. It's not movement impairing, but you do feel it. I can still sit more or less normally, for instance, since the belt rides over the hips. For how the system is designed, I can't think of any improvements, but I also haven't been putting the vest through as much use as I'd like.

I love how the Crye blast belt works, since the belt is more comfortable for me than the OEM Eagle belt and better suited to the 'combat belt' role. The OEM Eagle belt is less modular and doesn't fit quite the same way.

Sizing is easy to adjust on the vest - there's the shoulder straps for height and the cummerbund for girth. The load lifter takes a bit longer to get the sizing right - if you have a friend to help you eyeball the lifter and adjust the height relative to the belt and shoulders of the armor it goes by a lot quicker.

After installing the load lifter I don't find any reason to (re)adjust the vest, because the lifter fits into a pocket behind the rear plate and doesn't interfere with the sizing.

*edit - I looked at your website - the quick release on your belt system (the v-shaped 'bayonet' system) looks like it could be better than the current attachment method of the CHIEF frame if I wanted to pull it out in a hurry.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:02 pm 
The New Guy

Appreciate the feedback.

We developed a frame system that can be disconnected from the belt, while you wear it. Zero restriction in movement, but takes the weight off your back and shoulders when needed.

Sized correctly, swaps right into a pack.

Our client is looking for improvements over the current approach, such as full range of motion, less parts to fail, simpler to use.

Any user feedback helps. Comfortable belt is criticle. We have an adaptor to work with the Crye belt.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:50 pm 

Waiting on pricing from Eagle, but I finally got the part number for this pack. Cost dependent I'm going to pick one up.:

AERO-RBP-H-BC-3CCA

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:04 am 

Still waiting on pricing on the pack assembly. Getting information from Eagle is like pulling teeth from a hen's beak...

In the meantime, I did an ANZAC day 11.4mi ruck/stress shoot in kit yesterday, and took the Aero out. It currently looks like this:

It's held up well. I took it out today for a 2mi trail run and over the last two days of use I've had no noticeable shifting - when it's on, it's solid. I haven't had a reason to wear it in a while and putting it back on was a reminder of why I like it so much. No shifting, no pain - easy, simple, balanced.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 2:50 am 

Back panel w/ bolt cutter assembly is part number AERO-­RBP­-H­-BC­-3CCA description: AERO VEST, REMOVABLE BACK PANEL, HYDRATION­ BOLT CUTTER, pricing is $99.47 - Eagle gave me that part number for the zip-off pack, but that doesn't appear to be correct.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 5:02 pm 

Just heard from Eagle - their zip-on pack for the Aero is called the 'Turtle Assault Pack' (no part # yet, as it's not a production item) and just finished final design. It's on the way to Lares to figure out material requirements and pricing and finalize the part number.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:50 pm 
I need to get out more

Sorry for the necro.

Is anyone able to send me the SOFBAV manual?

Not gonna spend $9 for a 24h subscription to Scribd for a manual.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:07 am 

Sure, PM me your e-mail. Surprised Scribd is trying to charge you, I've never had to pay.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:15 pm 
I need to get out more

Shot out.

Offline Profile