It is currently Tue May 30, 2017 12:02 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Quality American gear manufacturers?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:26 pm 
Part of the furniture

What are the good quality American gear manufacturers besides Eagle, LBT, Mayflower, and First Spear? In the military all my gear seemed to be Specialty Defense or BAE.

Brands I've heard the name of, but have no experience with include Blackhawk, Tactical Tailor, Tactical Assault Gear (TAG), ATS (Advanced Tactical Systems?), Specter Gear and Grey Ghost. I'm sure others I can't think of at the moment.

Anyway, I'm wondering which American tactical gear companies make quality, durable, battle-tested gear besides the "big names". And what gear of theirs is good to go, if not all. Like "their pouches are great, but not their armor carriers".

Thanks.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Quality American gear manufacturers?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:38 pm 
Part of the furniture

I feel dumb. I meant to post this in the general gear area. Admins, feel free to move it and delete this post. Thanks!!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:01 pm 
I can't work for assholes

I have a fairly exclusive relationship with Crye, High Ground Gear and Blue Force Gear these days.
HGG makes quite a few innovations and/or improvements upon existing designs for specialty equipment (electronics, ordnance etc.), and their quality is as good as any other reputable brand based on my sample size.
We all know Crye.
And BFG are very good at balancing the knife's edge between durability and light weight.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:00 pm 
Part of the furniture

I can't believe I left Crye off the list! I think I did it because as a shopper of gear I've concluded Crye will be out of my price range and ignore it.

And I have heard of HGG and BFG, so thanks for bringing them up and giving input on them!

That reminds me that I should also include HSGI in the list of manufacturers I've heard of.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:27 pm 

Just take a look at all the "show us your" threads on different forums including this, and I'm sure you'll find a lot of cool companies that fit your bill.

Or even go to a shop with a wide selection, like optactical.com and skdtac.com, and just browser their inventory and do additional searches on items that interest you.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:41 pm 
Part of the furniture

Thanks for the reply essal. I guess I'm mostly wondering if there are any that aren't up to par with quality and durability. Like airsoft quality vs. real world quality. Sounds like from your point of view, all that I listed are good to go.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:08 pm 

Well, I wouldn't touch Blackhawk even if you tried to pay me to take it. Specter gear I have no interest in, as I do not like their designs. The rest I could consider if they have anything that I would be looking for, which is my key to any purchase.

I assume that your definition of quality is the same as durability. In my opinion it's not that simple, as there are several other factors in a in a design, such as ergonomics, comfort, scaling options etc.
Take my Crye pants as an example. Fucking love the quality of the pants, yet the durability seems to be shit after very little use. You'd expect that the knife pocket would be reinforced to not wear out from a pocket clip, yet mine is starting to tear. Does that make the pants bad? Nope. Because they have some other qualities that I really like.

T3 Gear, Tyr tactical and several others (I simply cannot remember every single brand that I think have good ideas) are worth looking into.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:31 pm 
Part of the furniture

Good info essal. By quality I mean function, design, and construction. Then, if all that is good, how does it hold up to the rigors of real world tactical use.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:39 pm 
Part of the furniture

After doing a little searching I found a couple other high rated companies, US Palm, and Original SOE. And the gear from all these manufactures looks great!

My head hurts. Life was simpler when only thinking military contract manufacturers! :lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:43 pm 

If you start by using issued gear, or what you have experience with, and identify YOUR needs.
If you want to look cool, just get whatever non-issued gear or whatever gear SOF use.

What's your needs? Don't know..
However, if you asked me "who makes a quality triple shingle" or "how can I carry my PVS 14s in safe way" then you start to ask some more specific questions which are easier to help you with rather than "what brands are good", because there are tons of durable manufacturers, but even though a manufacturer makes solid stuff doesn't mean it's well designed. It might not be a design that you like, and it might be worse than the issued stuff.
This is probably the reason why people are selling all kinds of lightly used gear. My tip would be to buy used stuff or stuff on sales, you'll save money which can be spent on hookers and booze.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:08 am 
Part of the furniture

"My tip would be to buy used stuff or stuff on sales, you'll save money which can be spent on hookers and booze."

Great advice! I need to ask my wife first though. :lol:

What I'm doing is figuring out how I want my loadout away from standard USGI issue gear which I was most familiar with. I have a tight budget, so I'm keeping an eye out for deals on eBay. What I was noticing is a lot of American made brands selling for good prices, but I really didn't know if I should worry about tracking them.

I'm not a fan of the gear in the front of the PC, but am fine with a single row 3 mag shingle. I have an Eagle non-issued 3 mag shingle that I haven't tested out yet, but was wondering if the shingles with the separate mag pockets would be better and if so, what brands to look at. That question started my searching and getting overwhelmed with the options and was hoping to narrow my search down to just a few manufacturers. I'm favoring Tactical Tailor at the moment, only because I have used a few of their products in country, but beggars can't be choosers when seeking deals on eBay to stay in a budget that won't freak the wife out!

So, instead of deciding on a particular brand and style of gear, I want a list of trusted gear manufacturers to keep an eye out for deals on lightly used gear I'm looking to buy. If that makes sense.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:50 pm 
Quite OK actually

Look at Australian Platatac, it is used by NZ and Aussee's SAS, pretty cheap, and producing licensed copies of Crye's gear

and yes, I'm chairborne ranger )) (c) Martin Pedersen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:13 pm 
Part of the furniture

Thanks TeaBoss and love the patch! :lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:16 am 
Part of the furniture

OT:

I NEED that patch.

/OT.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:42 pm 
The New Guy

B-Rad wrote:
.. I'm favoring Tactical Tailor at the moment...

They make good gear. I have experience with MAV with X harness, few pouches and their first responder. The harness is really comfortable even with bigger load compared to the original MAV/RACK rig style shoulder straps. The only negativ thing with my MAV (older gen) is the narrow pals space fitting only malice clips. Therefore I'm having hard time weaving other molle style pouches with extra malice clip, but newer MAVs should have proper spacing though.

Offline Profile