It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 5:15 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Re: Need Advice on Firstline set up.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:14 am 
Not completely useless

12 Mags is excessive, but my friends and family member were in the s*** when they were there. Will I see that kind of action, probably not. But I am Motor T. I do not care if I have that much ammo on my PC, because I am not humping it like others.

Marines still train with NBC gear in mind. It is not a silly notion. Why go for a Nalgene bottle, because it has a wide mouth and is easier to clean? Cleaning a standard issue canteen with NBC capabilities is not that hard or stupid.

Why do I need a belt kit? I am rolling around with a USGI LBV from the 90's. Outside of my Kevlar and PC(That we got less than a month ago) all of my other gear is similar to the LBV. A belt kit would assist me with my duties of pulling and transporting ammo.(Which I did mention in an earlier post)

My units mission is changing soon and if I lat move over I will definitely have more of a need for a belt kit.

(I do appreciate you asking me these questions to get me thinking)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:35 am 
I can't work for assholes

12 mags on you is retarded, plain and simple. You're a truck driver or a TC. You have to fit behind a wheel and operate a vehicle. 12 mags will not make that task easy. A better plan is to carry 4 mags on your person, one in the gun, and the remainder in a 'go bag' or a bandoleer pre-loaded and ready to go if needed. I've done convoy ops with mags. We quickly realized that even 6 mags on the front of the vest make ingress/egress from vehicles difficult, and streamlined accordingly. You will be in up-armored trucks, which have much less space than regular military trucks, especially when you add the myriad of electronic systems that go with being deployed downrange.

If you train with NBC gear, great. Add the kit for then, but there's no point in carrying shit you don't need all the time, because you might train with it.

Obviously since your earlier post you got a slimmed down MTV. Add pouches directly to that. Your basic combat load + whatever else you need will NOT need to go surplus to that. You bought a hydration carrier to connect to your vest, right (If I'm wrong, I'm wrong)? Have you tried sitting in your truck with that + armor + bladder? It's not comfortable over distance. Been there, done that.

Unless you go without vest for operations (never in a combat zone, in this command climate, and unlikely as hell in the States since we 'train as we fight'), your MTV will provide more than enough realestate for the pouches you NEED.

I'm not trying to shoot you down, but you're buying a lot of gear you don't need and which will possibly make your job harder. Keep the money instead, blow it on booze or put it in savings.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:13 am 
Not completely useless

Okay, so you pointed out that 12 mags was a lot. I agreed with you. Then you point it out again? We are going no where with that.

I am asking questions, but this is not my first rodeo. You are treating me like I am a poolee who has no idea what my job is about. Yes I have been inside an up armored vehicle(they happened to be comms trucks) and gone long distances.(CONUS) Unlike my peers, I am a slim guy so fitting behind the wheel with gear on my vest, including a filled 100oz bladder does not bother me or hinder my ingress/egress.(When MY bladder is full it can be uncomfortable though, lol)

I was not talking about training with NBC gear itself. I was talking more specifically about a canteen with the NBC cap on it. You make it sound like I plan on carrying a chem suit around.

I get that you are not trying to burst my bubble, hence the very last comment in my last post. Everyone needs a devil's advocate. But I do not drink, or smoke, or have any other vices. Instead, I spend money on gear. I am trying to find things that are useful for me. And if you happen to be right and I find this gear hinders me during ops, then I will have an awesome outfit complete with gear to play CoD or BF when I am not at drill/on orders. :P

Seriously, thank you for helping me get my brain going and sharing your experience with me. I am not letting your opinions go unheard or warnings unheeded.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:19 am 

Pepto90 wrote:
Okay, so you pointed out that 12 mags was a lot. I agreed with you. Then you point it out again? We are going no where with that.

That was in response to you saying:
Quote:
But I am Motor T. I do not care if I have that much ammo on my PC, because I am not humping it like others.

Quote:
I was not talking about training with NBC gear itself. I was talking more specifically about a canteen with the NBC cap on it. You make it sound like I plan on carrying a chem suit around.

So am I. There's no point in carrying the canteen unless you're doing training or operating in an NBC environment.

Quote:
Seriously, thank you for helping me get my brain going and sharing your experience with me. I am not letting your opinions go unheard or warnings unheeded.

You're welcome, and I'm glad you're listening.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:05 pm 
Earning his keep

Just a quick one (no doubt I will get some grief on this)... But why is "cleaning" a canteen such an issue? Only putting water in it right?

As for CBRN (let's move with the times) you can get adapters or multi functional bite valves that let you fit a mask to a camelbak bladder etc. Take it you're using a M50?

Nothing wrong with a Nag bottle. Emergency drinking drill can still be used, don't necessarily need to use the drinking system.

On the mags... 12 is a ton lol. On my first deployment back in 99 I carried 12.. For about a week... Ever since I've had 4 / 6 on my person ( 1 or 2 on my wpn) then I've carried more in bandoliers or ready filled mags in my wagon etc.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:17 pm 

Yes, you only put water in your canteen.
And every time you drink from it, you add bacteria to the mix.
Stagnant water with added bacteria can get pretty nasty if enough time is allowed to pass...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:25 pm 
Earning his keep

Yeah I know that dude, quick rinse between uses will sort it as you know. But like you said a lotta time has to pass to make it horrendous... With constant top ups and empties it kinda solves itself... Or it may explain why I'm like I am :lol:

I was thinking that he may be filling it with something else like squash or gaiteraid etc. not advisable but I know people who do. Then cleaning would be a massive issue.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:19 pm 
The New Guy

OP, so what gear did you end up securing?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:57 am 
Not completely useless

Been away from the boards for a while....

Here is my current set up right now:

HSGI Sure-Grip Padded Belt + 215 Gear Ultimate Rigger's Belt
Ka-Bar TDI
ITW Nexus Grimloc
Eagle Industries 9MM Mag Pouch (x2)
Specialty Defense Magazine Dump Pouch
Gemtech Retention Lanyard
Safarialand Model 6305 ALS® Tactical Holster w/ Quick Release Leg Harness
Blue Force Gear Tourniquet NOW! Strap
CAT

Edit: Posted a pic of it over in the Killing Grounds.

I am still planning on adding a Nalgene bottle pouch and an IFAK to my rig. Will try to get pics up soon.

Offline Profile