It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:42 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Need Advice on Firstline set up.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:14 pm 
Not completely useless

Currently do not have a firstline set up, but I am doing research and wanted advice from those who have been rolling with gear for a while. My biggest issue is getting my hands on gear to play with and see how it feels. The purpose of this rig is to be used in the line of military duties, which means it must be Coyote(Or OD, but I am not a huge fan of OD with MARPAT). I am posting links to the items I am considering. They are directly to the manufacturer's website, not necessarily where I plan on buy the items.

I am thinking of getting a HSGI Sure-Grip Padded Belt. I need to find a belt for it though. I like that I have the option of getting a harness for it as well, though I do not plan on loading the belt with that much gear. The belt I am considering coupling with this set up is the 215Gear Ultimate Rigger's Belt. If anyone has any suggestions like this bet, feel free to speak up. I prefer a belt without the D-ring.

The Safariland Model 6304 ALS® Tactical Holster is the holster I am thinking about. Also considering the Safariland Model 6305 ALS® Tactical Holster w/ Quick Release Leg Harness, I think I am leaning away from the latter though. I have read the suggestions on UBL drop holster VS thigh rigs, but I want a thigh rig because I am a motor vehicle operator and think I will have less issues with it mounted on my leg. I will also be doing MUCH less running than other types of operators. I am pretty sure the UBL holster would fit wit the belt though. It will be mounted on the right hand side the PALs webbing free, leaving it free. I do not plan on mounting anything there for fear of it getting in the way of my draw. Any lanyard suggestions?

On the left I plan on mounting two or three mag pouches I am torn between the Condor MA50: Kangaroo Mag Pouch or Eagle Industries Magazine Pouch Molle Style FB M9

I will be getting an Ontario Knife Companyy OKC3S Marine Bayonet and mounting it on my plate carrier until I get my belt and set it up. I am considering mounting it on my belt though. Any suggestions on where I should mount it?

Maxpedition ROLLYPOLY™ (MM Folding Dump Pouch) is another belt accessory I am considering. Like the knife, it will have a temporary home on my plate carrier until I get the belt. I have seen it centered on the back of the belt in a lot of gear set ups. Just wondering what the point of that is?

I am was thinking about putting a small utility pouch or two behind the mag pouches to hold a multi-tool and a light.

Finally, I was thinking of mounting a water source carrier on the belt. I am thinking of going with an issued style canteen. My reasoning behind this is so that I have a water source that is NBC gear compatible.

Any and all advice will be considered and greatly appreciated. Hyperlinks to suggested items is also appreciated. Thanks guys!

*Edit: Was advised to consider HSGI over the Condor by a board member. Would anyone else second that?

Last edited by Pepto90 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Need Advice on Firstline set up.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:00 pm 
Not completely useless

Im no HSLD but I did use some HSGI made gear during my time as a conscript and afterwards as a civilian.
Great kit thats still going strong after 6 years of use.

Condors stuff are mostly cheap knock-offs, even worse than BHI in many cases with really lowquality material and stitching thats prone to break even after only a little use.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Need Advice on Firstline set up.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:55 pm 
The New Guy

HSGI sure grip padded belt is very good. I like my SGPB alot.

http://www.highspeedgearinc.com/proddet ... GPB&cat=18

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:12 pm 
The New Guy

To echo what has been mentioned before, I would avoid Condor if you have to rely on your gear in less than favorable situations. Don't get me wrong, their clothing line is pretty decent for the price, but there are better options available such as ATS, BFG, HSGI, Tactical Tailor, Eagle, Mayflower and so on.

I own a variety of Safariland holsters and I have no complaints about them. The Maxpedition dump pouch is a good choice too. It takes up minimal MOLLE space and can hold more than enough gear should the need arise.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:21 pm 
Not completely useless

Thank you for the input. My original post has been updated with my new decision to go with the HSGI SGPB.

@Eodbordy - Would you recommend the 6304 or the 6305 for my purposes?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:55 pm 
The New Guy

My situation with the holsters is opposite to yours. I mount my holster onto a UBL on my gun belt. As for the 6304 or 6305, I would edge towards the 6305 with the quick release. There may be situations when you want to be able to remove your holster without having to undo your belt. Also, judging by looks alone, the QR version looks like it would be a more comfortable fit when you are driving for hours on end.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:43 am 
Not completely useless

My buddy is a LEO with the DLA. He is recommending chest draw for vehicle ops. I have to agree with the points he made, but I am in the reserves and my pistol is almost strictly a guard weapon for ammo draw/transport. God knows that maneuvering an A4 inside of a HMMWV is a b****, and my unit only owns one M4. Ain't no way a lance coconut getting his paws on that. He recommends the 6305, as you stated eodbrady.

He actually recommended a lower level retention holster. He says the ALS is a lot to remember and people have a hard time learning it.(He is a weapons instructor at his department) He recommends a Blackhawk! CQC due to the nature of our mission in the Corps. I think I am gonna stick with the ALS and have him teach me.(He has a rolling thumb technique he says he teaches) I figure it will keep me sharp in case I get on with a department that requires me to use level III retention like the ALS. I have been noticing more departments issuing them in California.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:26 pm 
I can't work for assholes

With a quick-release setup on your Safariland-holster, you could easily transition your sidearm from your chest to your dropleg platform and vice versa should you need it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:05 pm 
Not completely useless

That is another great point Pkekyo.

Does anyone have any insight on the magazine issue? I am still torn. I am piecing my order together right now. I do not want to burden my supplier with too many changes to the order.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:28 pm 
I can't work for assholes

If it's between the Eagle and Condor pouches, go for Eagle.
Anything Condor is bound to be a piece of shit.

I like HSGI Pouches myself.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:21 pm 
Not completely useless

I am not a fan of the taco pouches for the simple fact that my mag retention relies on an elastic band.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:27 pm 
Earning his keep

If you're sticking to 5.56, there are tons of Kydex retention options out there

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:38 pm 
Not completely useless

Are there any you would recommend?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:19 pm 
Quite OK actually

I kinda like the new KYWIs from ESSTAC: SKD

To go on the initial post:
Also like the HSGI sure grip belt, and absolutely no complaints with the 215gear rigger belts. I like them for the fact that they don't have the metall ring but the webbing solution.

Safariland holsters are good to go, and they're available in almost every style: every gun, with or without any light, different levels of security, possibility to wear them whereever you need it. Great quality.

As mentioned by others, I'd stay away from Condor. It's replica with according quality, and if you sepnd some solid money on other high quality stuff, you'd be pissed if they fail you just because you tried to save on the wrong end.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:27 pm 
Earning his keep

I like the ESSTAC KYWIs too. Especially the shorty ones.
http://www.skdtac.com/Esstac-M4-KYWI-Si ... ss.232.htm

ITW fast mags are always a quality solution
http://www.skdtac.com/ITW-FASTMAG-p/itw.110.htm

Never used them but never heard anything bad from First Spear. Except the price
http://www.optactical.com/fispm4maposp.html

And another +1 in staying away from Condor.
same reason as the guys above.

Offline Profile