It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 2:07 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Transfusions
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:29 pm 
I need to get out more

Since we had a bit of thread derail in the Review sub-forum regarding the use of Blood group patches, allergy patches and so forth, I thought I would post this little tidbit here, instead of the original review thread.

This is a chapter in a book called Emergency War surgery, about Shock and Resucitation:

http://www.bordeninstitute.army.mil/oth ... tation.pdf

♦ “Dog tag” blood typing wrong 2%–11% of the time.

ο Rely on “dog tags” only as a last resort.

So while blood group patches might be cool, they have no real value.

Here is the entire thing:

http://www.bordeninstitute.army.mil/other_pub/ews.html

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Transfusions
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:23 pm 
Part of the furniture

Interesting read. I always wondered about the whole "walking blood bank" concept that we were taught in basic and on the ship. There's some other interesting statements in chapter 7 regarding weighing RH compatibility during a mass casualty (the complications affect mainly women) and the importance of having an accurate roster.

This begs the question as to why blood tapes are so prevalent? Is it "flair" or is it another case of good intentions gone bad? I've regularly donated blood as both active duty and now as a civillian so my knowledge of my blood type (A+) is pretty well ingrained, but for somebody who's not as familiar with the process, would they actually know their own blood type and be able to verify their own dog tags?

-Vic

"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman." -Thomas Paine

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:43 am 

One should not forget that in rare cases ones blood type can change too.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:52 am 
Quite OK actually

Superstition. If it's a last resort for a medic then it is hardly acting as a medical aid. They'd have to re-confirm it anyhow. The people who need to know already have your information.

Some guys tattoo it to themselves, think it matters? Not really.

http://cqb-team.com/cqbforum/viewtopic. ... 774&p=3178

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:17 am 
I need to get out more

@Rye:

They will type your blood group no matter what any type of documentation about you says.

For the patient requiring an immediate transfusion, group O is the universal donor blood, and will be given until the blood group is either typed or if 8 units or more of O has been given. Then they will continue with O.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:01 pm 
Quite OK actually

Very interesting read in BHD in which the Delta medic was actually considering a direct transfusion, in which any transfusion is rare on the battlefield, for a casualty suffering a gunshot would to the thigh, in which he suspects, due to no exit wound, it has penetrated the pelvic area and severed the iliac arteries. He notes that they do not carry blood but only IV, he already has two IV sets running and considers to use one for a direct blood transfusion using a Ranger with the same blood type. He goes against it on the basis that it is unsafe at that present moment and that help will be on its way shortly.

In the documentary, "Inside Combat Rescue", they give O negative (O-) because it is universal.

Last edited by Rye on Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:33 pm 
The New Guy

I'm a doctor. Not a soldier though, but an m.d working in the E.R, and from time to time I do field work. I'd say that for most emergency situations saline is good enough. The purpose is to keep the blood pressure up to avoid multiple organ failure and secure the blood flow to the brain. The only thing gained from transfusing blood is oxygen transport, and we actually have a large spare tolerance to loss of red blood cells. But NONE for the wrong blood type. So I would stretch it as long as I could before transfusing someone without ascertaining their bloodtype myself. Having a patient dying on you is horrible, but the real horror is having one dying because of something you did. Just the mere suspicion will make most physicians grasp for breath, and watching someone clogg up from your tranfusion... ick. I totally understand the decision of the Delta medic. Wise.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:36 pm 
Quite OK actually

Mixe and other BTDT dudes, I hope you can chime in on the matter.

My girlfriend is currently going through the EMT training. Recently she told me something rather shocking that I have never heard of before. Perhaps I misunderstood her, so I'd like to get some clarification from you guys.

She said that besides the Rhesus and the Group there is about eight other factors that need to be considered before the transfusion. In other words, knowing the type and rhesus is not enough to do a transfusion.

I suppose that makes sense because everyone's blood is filled with a cocktail of antibodies that is rather unique to their life experience. I'm just not sure what role it plays.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:36 am 
The New Guy

the part about other blood systems is true.
there are more than 20 of them (AB0, MNSs, P, Rh, Lutheran, Kell, etc.) but the most important are AB0 and Rh for blood transfusion. exception should be a repeated transfusion of larger amounts of blood, when other test would be applied, and they are generally used in ethno-genetic studies and paternity cases.

so much from me as a medicine student, i just looked it up in one of my books.

from a practical view i saw in hospital: the doctor ordered the transfusion, double-checked the actual blood bag/patient and performed cross-matching test (just the ABO+Rh systems)

any verification from an actual M.D. is although welcome...

Offline Profile