It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:11 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Your favorite IFAK pouch?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:31 am 
Not completely useless

So... I've been having a bit of a time finding the right IFAK pouch for me. I tried the Paraclete CANSOF med, issue USMC IFAK pouch, EI style IFAK and right now I'm using the SO Tech CIMAP pouch which I like, but it could be a tad bigger and have some elastic for holding bandage rollers, etc.

So, I'm wondering what your guys favorite IFAK pouches are so I can get some inspiration for what to try next :D

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Your favorite IFAK pouch?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:03 am 
I can't work for assholes

BFG's medical pouch is by far the best one I've had a go at thus far.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:58 am 

Agreed on the Blue Force Gear One...

I also like the ATS insert because of its versatility.

Blog: http://www.dnkholdings.net/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:31 pm 

I use an ATS small med, which I like.

But you cannot beat the design of BFG TKN, so that would be my choice if I where to buy a new one.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:33 pm 
Earning his keep

Haven't tried the BFG, but the ESS MEDRAT is great.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:24 pm 
Not completely useless

My favorite one is Warrior Elite Ops Medic Rip Off pouch... Has a lot of room inside, it's not fixed on my vest i can pull it off.
Look it up.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:58 pm 
Not completely useless

Thanks all. I really like the looks of the BFG and Warrior pouches.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:37 am 
Part of the furniture

I just run mine in a mag pouch with a homemade insert. I've found the stuff I need will fit in there just fine. I used to carry alot more, but have scaled down over the years. I typically carry a "4 Izzy bandage, primed gauze, Combat Gauze, NPA, Hyfin chest seal, and a pair of gloves. I carry several CATs on my rig.

These essentials have been able to sustain a wide range of simulated injuries in continued Care Under Fire courses long enough to turn them over to CCP/appointed med personnel.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:08 pm 
Not completely useless

Thats not a bad idea either, I kind of like medical specific pouch though. I don't know how to use a Hyfin or a NPA or any of that fancy stuff. Right now I'm carrying a Emergency Bandage, 2 bandage rollers of various sizes, 2 CAT's (one is on the rig, the other is in the pouch), burn creams, a couple small gauze pads, 2 pairs of gloves, and a survival blanket in the outer pocket of the SO Tech CIMAP

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:43 pm 
Part of the furniture

I typically carry the items like burn cream, emergency blankets, etc. in my pack. The only stuff I put in the IFAK are items needed to immediately sustain life in case of traumatic injury. From a non-medic standpoint, the role of assault personnel is not prolonged medical treatment; it is to reduce immediate threats, address immediate life threatening injuries, and turn wounded personnel over to appointed care givers so they (the assaulter) can return to their primary task.

Good discussion. IFAK contents can vary so much, and use of them is influenced by everyone from the dangerously novice to the very experienced professional, and even then protocol varies dramatically.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:17 am 
Not completely useless

The nice thing about using a double mag pouch as a IFAK is that it doesn't take up much room at all on your rig. Therefore, you can keep it up front where it is accessible with both hands. Typically, if I am running a dedicated med pouch I have to place it towards the back of my rig on a tear-off panel. However, I can put the bare essentials that are needed to sustain treatment until the medic gets there into a double mag pouch and put it up front next to my radio and carry 2 CATs on my rig. Usually, I will put a CAT in the elastic on the double mag pouch. It keeps your rig streamlined and lightweight.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:31 pm 
Quite OK actually

GHL wrote:
I just run mine in a mag pouch with a homemade insert. I've found the stuff I need will fit in there just fine. I used to carry alot more, but have scaled down over the years. I typically carry a "4 Izzy bandage, primed gauze, Combat Gauze, NPA, Hyfin chest seal, and a pair of gloves. I carry several CATs on my rig.

Any chance you could take a picture of the insert? I am extremely interested in this idea, as I'm all about cutting weight down. In so doing I often don't wear the backpanel that has my large IFAK on it, so putting some med kit in a mag pouch that is far over on my firing side and hard to reach with my reaction hand appeals to me a lot.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:45 pm 
Part of the furniture

Sure, I'll take some photos. It is basically a scaled down version of the ATS.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:04 am 
Not completely useless

GHL wrote:
I typically carry the items like burn cream, emergency blankets, etc. in my pack. The only stuff I put in the IFAK are items needed to immediately sustain life in case of traumatic injury. From a non-medic standpoint, the role of assault personnel is not prolonged medical treatment; it is to reduce immediate threats, address immediate life threatening injuries, and turn wounded personnel over to appointed care givers so they (the assaulter) can return to their primary task.

Good discussion. IFAK contents can vary so much, and use of them is influenced by everyone from the dangerously novice to the very experienced professional, and even then protocol varies dramatically.

Good point. I use to keep my emergency blanket in my ruck, but to be perfectly honest my IFAK had space for it, so I put it there lol. Yes, I consider myself a novice when it comes to stuff like this, so I try not to carry stuff I don't know how to use.

I'm also interested in seeing your medical insert.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:30 pm 
The New Guy

Another IFAK pouch that looks good to me is the CTOMS Slimline:

http://www.ctoms.ca/products/slimline

I don't have one yet but hoping to get one.

Offline Profile