It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 2:11 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: TSSI M9 Bag
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:05 pm 
The New Guy

Well, first I'll start out a little history on myself. I've been a Navy Corpsman with Marines (Grunts, not POGS) for about three years. Done one deployment doing mostly Maritime missions, went to over 22 different Countries on 5 separate continents ranging from the cold of the Sierra Nevada's in Northern California Mountains to Yemen, Saudi Arabia, and Africa. I've used everything from the basic trauma bags to the issued med bags, Blackhawk Stomp II's, and the list goes on. Long story short I've had my fair share of playing around, so when the opportunity came up to get a TSSI M9 Bag for $0.00 from another one of my Corpsmen friends that got out of the Military already I couldn't pass it up. Ended up giving it a go on a few missions and operations and started to find that it's everything I need and nothing I don't.

Without further ado, the pictures:

The back side has a nice slot between the actual webbing and the med bag, which allowed me to squeeze two full sized SAM Splints in there. They can fully slide in there, I just pulled it out a little so you knew what was there.

Closer picture of the tag, you can also notice there is a Velcro on the sides, with one being the positive (Sticky side) and the other a negative (Soft side). The exact purpose of this is not really known to me, but I don't think I would trust those strips to attach directly to my back if it had Velcro on it.

This is the backside of it, has a nice Velcro patch for putting standard identification tabs there. I usually keep mine on, but because I don't want all my information for the world to see, I took it off. Up higher you can see some MOLLE at about 5 X 3. It's useful if you've got like a North American Rescue pole-less litter with the MOLLE straps on them, but I like it as a smooth surface, just in case I have to carry anything else over top of it. Then obviously at the top is some North American Rescue Trauma Scissors. They work flawlessly, and they can cut right through SAM Splits for perfect to size fits. That's about the only reason I've got them.

So what you're seeing here is a standard 1000cc (M/l) I.V. Bag of Normal Saline. We call it a football when you condense all the required pieces for I.V. Therapy inside the actual I.V. Bag itself. Included inside is obviously I.V. Tubing, (2) 18g Catheters, Some Et0H pads, and enough tape to secure the site. Another great thing I like about that location itself is if you look at the bottom you can see that it has a nice hole that can leak out the fluids in case your bag pops (Trust me, I've popped a 1000cc Bag when I had it close to my meds. Lost about $200.00 in medications, good thing I don't pay for it :lol: ).

Now, opening up the actual bag. What you're looking at is the flap that is opposite where the MOLLE was, or top flap. Anyways, From left to right here's what you're looking at:
3 Full sized Cravat, color OD Green
Modified OPA/NPA Airway (Below)
Temporary Sharps Container (Above)
Duct Tape
Moleskin
Hemostats (Below) next to some Et0H pads
(2) 14Ga x 3.25" ARS (Air Release Systems) for Needle Decompression
Buck Hammer neurological reflex hammer

Now looking onto the other side, again from Left to Right:

Compressed Warming blanket
(2) Hyfin Chest Seals
(2) Sheets of HydroGel (My personal favorite for burns)
(1) 500cc "Football" (hidden under that first pocket, between the Quickclot & hydrogel)
(2) Quickclot Combat Gauze (The good kind that doesn't burn to the touch)
(1) Special Operations Forces Tourniquet (SOF-T)
(1) "Big Cinch" Gauze
(1) "H-Bandage"
(2) General purpose sealed Gauze
(1) Combat Application Tourniquet (CAT)
(1) Bottle of meds, I usually switch out pending on what we're doing. We just so happened to be doing a hike that day, so I brought some 800Mg Motrin.
(1) Complete cricothyrotomy kit, to include scalpel, more Duct Tape, and an ET Tube

So you don't just take my word for it, here's a look in the top panel:
(1) laryngoscope
(1) ET Tube
(1) NPA
(1) OPA
(1) Pair of NAR Black Gloves
(1) ENT Light

That's pretty much it guys,

Picture of me using the TSSI M9 Bag during an operation we did with the Indonesian Marines in Indonesia summer of 2010. That was a tan one I had, but my buddy said he wanted that one back and gave me the green. Beggars can't be choosers, haha.

-Mosin

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: TSSI M9 Bag
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:28 pm 
Part of the furniture

Good review. Very well laid out; from my limited medical perspective, of course.

Are the HydroGel sheets easy to come by? I have some that were given to me by a Delta and he said they just stole it from Charlies (who use it for charge placement). I've only used it in training, but have been told they make excellent Chest Seals.

Again, nice review and a good looking set up. I have the M9 as well and like it alot. Again, not a medic, but understand the importance of combat medicine and have taken a serious interest in the topic. Mine is set up very similar, minus a few items I have no training on (cric kit, etc.).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:30 pm 
The New Guy

Well, in all honesty for a great chest seal you just want something that is non-permeable. I've used anything from a Marine's I.D. Card to an MRE wrapper. I've never tried using Hydrogel to solve the problem, because I've got over 60 Hyfin Chest Seals. However medicine is never perfect and never 100% one way to do it (1000 ways to skin a cat). If anything I'd use the packaging that it comes in as that's 100% plastic and would stop any air/debris from coming in.

Thanks for the positive remarks, if there is anything else I can clear up let me know. Again this is my daily patrol bag, not my blowout bag. So obviously it doesn't have my suture gear, Stethoscope, BP Cuff, or anything that can't wait until the patient gets to higher echelon of care.

-Mosin

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:46 pm 
I can't work for assholes

Very cool writeup - thanks for sharing!

I know next to nothing about med stuff, but why only 1 tourniquet?

I always thought that the velcro on the back of the bag was to help the pack grip if you are wearing it over armor as cordura likes to slide around a lot when against other cordura..

Blog: http://www.dnkholdings.net/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:37 am 
The New Guy

There are actually two tourniquets in there. But then again this is just my med bag.

If you see the picture here you can see on my left leg I've got an Eagle Industries leg panel that I keep another 500cc "Football" in as well as an Eagle Industries M60 Pouch that I hold two more tourniquets in. Not to mention it's usually SOP to have at least one (Most of my guys have two) on your persons at all times.

EDIT: I spoke to a mod about persec, it's a picture of me, as you can tell I'm giving the bird to the guy on the other RHIB taking a picture of me. So that's how that goes. Heheh.

Last edited by Mosin on Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:16 pm 
Not completely useless

Good review of the bag and your layout is very well thought out. It gives me some ideas that I may use to change around how my bag is set up. Also worth mentioning is that all of the pockets in the pack are velcro backed so the user can move them around as he sees fit. The bag also comes with a MOLLE panel that can be used in place of the panel with the elastic loops.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:49 pm 
Part of the furniture

really interesting review, thanks for sharing!

dumb civvie question: why did you choose this bag instead of the ILBE Corpsman pack?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:59 pm 
The New Guy

Well, to answer the question about why I chose it. In all honesty being a first responder doesn't mean you need to be the primary care provider, or the resident physician of the patient. You only have a small role in the stages of what would come. At first when I used to do runs with my guys and patrol in different countries I used a Blackhawk Stomp II (Now my bugout bag that I leave further in the rear for more ambulatory medicine and sick call type stuff) but overall the weight just begins to add up, and that's where the thinking man starts trying to shave off ounces and pounds.

That's pretty much all it came down to, I was also doing VBSS missions and if you've ever been on a ship the walls and rooms are tight and don't really grant much room for freedom of movement, so you have to try and get as small as you can. When I used to do VBSS missions I'd bring my M9 bag while we hook and climb aboard the ship, and once we got the initial foothold of the first room I'd designate that the CCP (Casualty Collection Point) and drop my litter and M9, and roll through spaces with only my leg rig.

Which brings me to the next thing, why was the picture removed? I honestly don't care about PERSEC, because I'm not doing rogue black ops missions.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:47 pm 
Part of the furniture

Well that makes sense, I don't have any experience in VBSS but I know ships aren't exactly "roomy". Thanks for the info, I'm working on a VBSS impression so your input is really helpful.;)

as for your pic: forum rules say you have to PERSEC all photos (except pics of yourself), mods and admins can't keep track of every pic posted and whether it's worth of being persec'd or not. y'know, better safe than sorry...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:16 am 
The New Guy

Well feel free to hit me up if you've got anymore questions about the medical portion of VBSS. It's still pretty fresh in my mind so I can help you out pretty well. I received a PM from another Moderator and he told me since it's a picture of myself PERSEC is not an issue, and to be honest, I wish a terrorist would see the picture. If you haven't seen the tattoo thread I've got "Infidel" written in Arabic. But maybe that's just because of my time spent with Marines, haha.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:32 pm 
Part of the furniture

thanks man, got too many things to ask but I'll manage to be not too intrusive. ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:15 am 
Not completely useless

Not trying to hijack this thread, but figured this might be a good place for people with the same TSSI M9 bag could show their personal configurations.

I used an M9 as my go to bag in Iraq 2008-2009. I had a Blackhawk bag I set up (http://gearsoc.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=2760&p=18163#p18163) in my evac vehicle, and this M9 was what I'd take on my back because it has a much smaller profile and is easier to use in vehicle operations.

On the outside I had 2 CATs rubber banded to each side's MOLLE webbing (total of 4), chemlights through the front MOLLE webbing, and an IR flag for night time IFF.

In opened the bottom pocket up I carried two 500ml of hextend, all of my CLS and trucks had tons of NS so I wasn't too worried about saline fluids. Also have two 10ml saline flushes to clear out locks in the compartment along with a NARP BOA band, sharps shuttle and FAST 1 IO IV kit with a tactical traction splint - we were primarily mounted in MRAPs so a long bone injury was likely in the event of a rollover so it was good to have around. Its hard to see, but the black bag on the right side is the case for the splint.

I set my IV bag kits up in what I called "burritos" which are pretty similar to your footballs. It had an IV lock kit, tubing and fluids and was rolled up in a cravat held together by tape which could be used to secure the tubing and catheter down while saving a lot of space.

When you opened the main compartment the first zippered pouch on the flap panel was my "gay shit" pouch; I kept various meds (usually diphenhydramine, ibprofin, loperamide, MSO4, promethezine, and narcan with carpujects) as well as a minor wound kit with bandaids, 2x2s, telfa dressings, and steristrips along with antibiotic ointment in it.

I used the panel that came with the bag instead of using the one where you could make your own with tie downs. I keep 2 14 ga 3 1/4" NARP ARD needles in it, 2 Hyfin dressings and 2 ACS as well as a set of trauma sheers, exam light and a red and black sharpee.

In the pouch beneath the chest injury panel I had four of the NARP needleless saline lock kits as well as a couple constricting band.

The zippered pouch on the top of the main compartment I used as my diagnostic pouch. I have about 10 pairs of the little black talon gloves that are rolled up in each other, an Onyx 9500 pulse oximeter, a Littman Cardiac Pro stethoscope, two rolls of 3" medical tape, a small green lens exam light and an Epipen.

One of the best things about this bag was its wide open layout. As soon as you open it pretty much everything is right there for you.

Below the zippered pouch in the first of the open top kangaroo pouches I have 2 NPAs with lube, a NARP cyclone pocket BVM, an EZ Suction bulb and a Size 5 King LT kit.

Beneath that was part of my bleeding kit, its got three rolls of Quick clot combat gauze, three 6" Emergency trauma dressings and a large abdominal sized ETD.

Under that has four rolls of S-rolled gauze, two hemcon bandages, two ACE wraps, two cravats, and a NARP Crikit. The Crikit is sort of out of place in the bleeding pouch, but it was the only place where it would fit.

In the back mesh pocket I've got the same two SAM splints you do, but I added a c-collar as again in the event of a vehicle rolling over it would be a necessity.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:41 am 
Not completely useless

I also got this bag for my PJ impression and it's good to have some input about what to put in it. I had made some research about that but this certainly helps alot. Thanks for the pics and info! ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:08 pm 
The New Guy

I use the M9 for my 173rd medic set up, I really appreciate its size than its carrying capacity !

Quote:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:34 am 
The New Guy

Wow, this thread is old, but I have a question for the OP. Why are you running a laryngoscope as opposed to a blind insertion airway in a trauma bag? Not much medical treatment to be had from an M9, just wondering your personal thoughts.

Offline Profile