It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:22 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Show your medical gear!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:45 pm 

Why do you have 2 different OPA's, and in infant and child sizes but no NPA?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:56 pm 
The NPA is on its way, from boundtree, but had not been shipped yet,

If you mean that NPA is a Nasopharyngeal right?

and why i have two diffent, is because i needed to see what kind i liked the most :)

The finally setup in the pack is not done yet, i need some more items from Boundtree and Dealmed, i well post some pictures, like "before" and "after" pictures when my items finally will come to me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:21 am 

Yes NPA is nasopharyngeal airway, and OPA is oropharyngeal airway. Like the Berman OPA better then the Guedel myself, but I think that is just preference. But still don't understand why you have infant and child sizes in your field kit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:51 am 
Part of the furniture

Figured I'd throw a few pics up here.

First pack is a TSSI M9 -

Second is a smaller kit in a TT First Responder Bag -

Lastly is a LBT-0996F NSWDG Med Pack -

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:58 pm 
Love your M9 bag :) do you have a kitlist for what you got in the bag??

About the childen size OPA, is that i not only gonna use it in the field but i well have it back in my car, and hope that i never gonna use a OPA on a kid.

Btw. Do any one have a pack list for a medical pack?? only got a SOF pack list.??

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:08 pm 
Part of the furniture

I'm not in front of the bag, so I'll have to do it off the top of my head.

From the top:
- Burn Gel packets, basic NSAIDs, etc.
- Several Israeli bandages
- Celox
- Kerlex bandages
- Primed gauze
- Several CAT tourniquets
- Gauze pads
- NARP suction device
- Nitrile gloves
- Tape
- Hyfin chest seals
- Hyrda-gel sheets for chest seals
- EpiPen
- Several NPAs
- 3.25" caths for ND
- Shears
- Hemos
- OPAs

Bottom compartment:
- Several IV bags and starter kits
- SAMs and bandages for splinting

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:06 am 
The New Guy

:arrow: A word of warning, if your not authorized to have such items, a lot of states will prosecute you for having "drug paraphernalia" just because you had an IV needle in your kit..

Several off duty Army medics have gone down for this as well for having their kits with them.

So be careful, and don't carry stuff your not trained or authorized to use, save that stuff for guys like me...lol

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:30 pm 
Part of the furniture

In most states in the US they also have "Good Samaritan" laws that protect first responders who render aid in an attempt to save or preserve life.

I make a point to not carry any equipment in my bag that I have not recieved training on. You will notice there are no ETs, LMAs, Cric kits, etc. The most contraversal piece of equipment in my kit, in my opinion, are caths for ND. While I have recieved training on it, the circumstances in which I'd use it are very few and far between. Without certification, the only way I'd do it is in an extreme case and only if it was someone I knew well.

The key for someone who is not employed as a medic, in my opinion, is knowing your limitations, the potential outcomes of intervention (even from a trained medic in this case), and having an accute understanding of what certifications are required for varying levels of intervention.

For example, I would not attempt to Cric a person since I have no formal training on it and am not certified to do so. On the same hand, I would apply a tourniquet to someone and treat their wounds if I believed they were in critical danger of bleeding out before paramedics arrived.

As a side note, I do not carry this kit in my car with me nor is it meant to be used in random roadside accident response. I carry it to the range when I'm teaching, and other similar events where live fire in close proximity takes place (hence the heavy emphasis on circulation management).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:22 pm 
The New Guy

LBT 1562A

Some of the stuff thats inside the pack:

+IV Sets
+SAM Splints
+CAT TQ
+Decompression Needle
+Chest Seal
+Compressed Gauze
+Control Wrap 4"
+Control Wrap 6"
+Olaes Bandage 4"
+Blast Bandage
+Trauma Gauze
+NPA
+OPA
+BWM
+poleless litter
+drugs
+Stethoscope
+blood pressure cuff

Its just too much to list everything

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:26 pm 
Looks great Platoon, nice kit you got

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:32 pm 
I can't work for assholes

I pretty much always have a combination of the following on or near me.
I don't carry OPA/NPAs and IV gear, as I've only once had introductory instructions on it, and rather stick with what I know.

I carry the stuff in one or more of these carriers.

The right side pouch on the SKEDCO pack stays empty in case one would need to carry IVs, OPA/NPAs or whatever might catch one's fancy. The SKEDCO SOF Mobility pack usually stays in my truck, accompanied by a "regular" vehicular kit.
Whenever out and about with weird camouflaged uniforms and such I also carry around one or two israeli bandages in my left shoulder pocket, and a CAT in my right.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:48 pm 

GHL made a great post, but i like to add something to the "Good Samaritan" laws. Do not forget to ask the patient/victim for consent if he/she is conscious, as the "Good Samaritan" laws will not be applicable. Only if the patient is unconscious you will have what they call an assumption of consent and the "Good Samaritan" laws will protect you (in most states).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:52 am 
The New Guy

sdbb and Pkekyo pack's are awesome. Congrats :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:12 pm 
Not completely useless

Just picked this up today along with some other goodies from my buddy:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:26 am 
I can't work for assholes

just scanning the thread, and i read about IV needles. i really hate to go off topic, but this is kinda my area of expertise, and i just feel like i can finally share some knowledge!!!! :D

i do not know of any state that will prosecute for drug paraphernalia for simply having a needle.
an item is not paraphernalia unless it can be linked to the contraband in question.

if you have a glass pipe, rolling papers, bong, needle, etc. and there is no way it can be connected to narcotics, then it is simply a glass pipe, rolling papers, etc..... and these items are not illegal, in and of themselves. there are plenty of legal reasons to own them (roll your own cigarettes, water bongs are excellent filters for flavored tobacco, insulin needles, etc)

now if you have a glass pipe with marijuana residue, a needle with heroin still in it, a burnt marijuana cigarette (roach) and rolling papers in your pocket, then those items are now considered paraphernalia. if the item in question can be linked to an illegal narcotic use, then it becomes paraphernalia. i have charged for a bent soda can with holes in it as a makeshift pipe, a straw used to snort prescription pills (not prescribed to suspect), a fish tank in a frat house used as a bong, and my favorite, an apple cored and used as a pipe.....

so, just wanted to add my .02 8)

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next