It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:56 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Looking for a new pack
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:14 am 
The New Guy

Hello gents,

I'm looking for a new 3 day assault pack and I'm having difficulty deciding which one to get. I'm looking at

Eagle Industries (only problem is they are hard to hunt down)
A-III
Beavertail

Kelty MAP 3500

Tactical Tailor MALICE
Modular Operator Pack

Spec Ops T.H.E Pack
T.H.E Pack UAP

5.11 Rush72 (I've heard mixed reviews, and some sound really bad)

Does anyone have experience with these packs or have a suggestion.

Thanks!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:07 am 
Part of the furniture

The Kelty 3500 is awesome. I've had one since 2008. Great features, can pack down pretty slim with the compression straps, and is light enough to not be bothersome. The internal stays are removable also.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Looking for a new pack
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:12 am 
Quite OK actually

What do you need the pack for?

Stand alone for hiking, trips to the wild with a heavy load where you want to be comfortable?

Over gear for military work/airsoft to bring some stuff but don't have to carry it along all day?

Is there any price limit or other requirements?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:41 pm 
Not completely useless

I've got a kelty MAP 3500 and it's a great pack for one day and night trips at most, (for more time i do prefer a rucksack), its light, confortable (i mean the straps and waist belt, which, by the way is removable, so if you are no carrying much can go off), the side straps allow to compress and stabilize the load, and the fabric seems strong enough to withstand almost anything.
The administrative section of the pack has a decent size, i just fill it with stuff, (i use to carry documents or maps with me, not in the pack).
It's got a sort of internal frame (two alluminium bars, removable too), to help improve the stabilization and weight transfer to the hips (i imagine).

I love the clamshell opening design ,and the two outer pockets for nalgene bottles (or watever you decide to put inside), and the fact it has not molle outside (not a big fan of it in packs :oops: ).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:49 pm 
The New Guy

what is the purpose for the pack?
for Eagle
the A III is for 3 days use but the BEAVERTAIL is for 1 day use......

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:33 am 
The New Guy

I can say Kelty MAP 3500 is the best of your option since which have the light weight and big loading capacity. The Eagle III day is also a good options but a bit heavy if compare with Kelty MAP 3500. Besides, the shoulder pads of Eagle III day pack is easy to get "thinner" after a period of usage.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:18 pm 
Not completely useless

For a lower profile 3 day pack/assault pack, you may want to look into the ECP from First Spear.
http://www.first-spear.com/product.php? ... 300&page=1

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:15 am 
The New Guy

I am not sure, if it maybe wont be a little too small for your needs, its rather a daypack or escape pack, but I fell in love with the TT Mission Pack for it is very comfortable to carry and still fits alot of stuff, certainly more that the usual daypack. I have a 60l genuine Bundeswehr backpack, but since I got this little beast, I use it for traveling most of the time. And if I need more space, I simply attach one or two (or three if you like) molle bag modules to it.

It can be made very compact by the usual side strapping system, but also can fit a lot of stuff in it, if you need it to. Two sections, several seperate inbags so securely transport stuff, f.ex like a notebook or other tech, but also zipable parts for finer gear and documents to be kept from getting wet or lost.

It has an outer section for bulky stuff, easily fits a MICH (or Schuberth in my case ;) ) and molle straps on the back and on the sides. Also the robust carrying handles on the sides are very convenient, f.ex if you need to pull the pack out of a pile of packs of a cargo load fast, without ripping the pack or crippling your fingers. And the carrying handle on the top is very comfortable, being very durable, yet soft, covered with thick, durable rubber. That makes the bag nice to carry in one hand, even if its overpacked. Last but not least, the back of the pack is almost as comfortable as a sports car seat, its very richly padded, with the pads being located on both sides of your spine, without applying pressure on it, so that it is nice to carry over long times even with heavy load. Also it has a rain protective overback in the bottom zip, which is strapped to the bag and has a rubber ring to fixate it around the pack.

Its made of Cordura 700 DEN, the overall quality of this product did really convince me. What I liked most is that almost all the inner surfaces, as well as the zipping lines are rubberized. I got myself a rare older version Gen. 1 of it in Flecktarn, but its easily available in olive, black or tan in the newer generations.

meas (unloaded) 55 x 28 x 20 cm
volume: 37l
weight: 2kg

Dont let the low load volume fool you, a lot of stuff goes in there.
Here is a link to a german review, the photos are self explanatory though: http://spikesgearcheck.blogspot.ru/2012 ... .html#more

Offline Profile