It is currently Tue May 30, 2017 2:23 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Re: US EOD, Explosive Ordnance Disposal
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:55 am 
I can't work for assholes

We all realize that. What some might wonder though, is why that sentimental value couldn't possibly be inside a pouch, pack or pocket - rather than presenting a big red white and blue, star spangled bullseye on their back.

And yes Infected, we see what you did there. It was dumb.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:36 am 
Quite OK actually

Everyman to his own, but alright.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:28 pm 
Quite OK actually

Pkekyo wrote:
We all realize that. What some might wonder though, is why that sentimental value couldn't possibly be inside a pouch, pack or pocket - rather than presenting a big red white and blue, star spangled bullseye on their back.

And yes Infected, we see what you did there. It was dumb.

Because what you guys don't understand about us as Americans is this. We don't always give a shit about being inconspicuous. In virtually every conflict the US has ever been in, units with distinguishing traits, something about their uniform or gear that stands out, has often earned us a reputation with the enemy.

I'm sure this is true in other branches, but as far as in the Marine Corps, in Korea we recovered notices sent out to the front lines. Don't attack convoys with the "yellow legs," describing the khaki trousers worn by Marines at that time. If you do, they'll chase you into the woods and kill you all. In Somalia, don't fuck with the guys wearing the black boots. In Haiti, don't fuck with the "devils with white sleeves," talking about the way Marines sleeves looked when they were rolled. More recently in Afghanistan, multiple intercepted comms revealed that 1st Recon Battalion earned the nickname "black diamonds" from the Taliban, of course talking about their Norotos shrouds. The common sentiment? Wait for a softer target to come along.

What do yellow legs, white sleeves, black boots and black diamonds all have in common? They stand out like a dildo at disneyland. But because of that, our enemies all over the world associated these different things with the 55 gallon drum of whoop ass that we're going to crack open in your backyard if you're dumb enough to try it.

You guys keep fighting how you want to, but we'll keep doing what we do and I PROMISE you we will go on not giving a shit what you think about it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:23 pm 
Quite OK actually

^ You motivate the piss out of me, Devil. Yut!!!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:43 pm 
I need to get out more

First, what is with the hostile attitude towards non-US members? Norwegians, Canadians, British forces, as well as others, have fought and bled in the same conflicts as the US this last decade. If you try to be an internet tough guy, don't forget that some nations have always had your back, even if it's not on the same scale.

Second, why not school less knowledgeable members about why an American flag on the back isn't that big of a deal, when measured up against the TTP's currently being used by Allied forces in Afghanistan? Beating down on people because they don't know is kind of lame, and makes you come across as unprofessional.

The reason why it isn't that big of a deal, is that the majority of missions conducted over there have been show of force type missions. Not sneaking around in the Talibans back yard, with a focus on stealth and camouflage. Sure, those missionshave occured, and occur, as well, but then the units will take appropriate measures with regards to camouflage, stealt, OPSEC etc. in order to achieve the element of surprise. The Taliban and FF's are very skilled oponents, and moving unnoticed on their land is difficult.

So, in short, making our presence known to the Taliban was often one of the goals of our missions, that meant being seen, that meant kicking their ass. If they knew it was us, due to some easily recognizable feature, that was even better. And trust me, Norwegian forces have had the same kind of "respect" from the Taliban as E3S mentioned in his post.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:54 pm 
Quite OK actually

WARPIG [USMC] wrote:
^ You motivate the piss out of me, Devil. Yut!!!

RAH KILL BODIES DEVIL! Hahaha I've never been much of a motard but we have to remember where we come from. Thats what makes us who and what we are.

AGR16, I have nothing against anyone here outside the US. I didn't mean to make it seem that way at all. I appreciate your service and the sacrifices every non-US service member has made in Afghanistan. I mean that. But as an American I do take comments like "sometimes you yanks are overly-patriotic" a little personally, or bringing into question SOF guys wearing American flags on their kit as though it is something that should be hidden away. Not trying to make anyone feel stupid, I just figured maybe Pkekyo would know better as to why it doesn't really matter being that he is mil of some kind. You hit the nail on the head with your explanation. Couldn't have said it better.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:21 pm 
I need to get out more

Cool, no worries bro.

And Pkekyo has no mil experience outside his conscript service.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:36 pm 
Not completely useless

echothreesierra wrote:
...I PROMISE you we will go on not giving a shit what you think about it.

echothreesierra wrote:
...But as an American I do take comments like "sometimes you yanks are overly-patriotic" a little personally...

So what one is it? You don't give a shit or you take it as a personal attack? The truth hurts - that's the only explanation I can think of for the replies that I received for making the "over-patriotic" comment. It was a tongue-in-cheek comment as well. There's a very elitist, clique attitude around this forum. No class either.

"I ‘ve worked with them both and they are a bunch of badasses! Great guys that can drink me under the table!!!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:24 pm 
Quite OK actually

You're confused. Make no mistake, not giving a shit what you think about a certain practice (or anything, for that matter) and taking a comment about my fellow countrymen personally enough to respond to it with my own opinion are two entirely different things. And no, it doesn't hurt because it isn't the truth, as I feel that AGR416 and myself have more than adequately explained at this point in one way or another. There's no elitism here whatsoever and I don't know anyone else here well enough to be in a "clique" with them. You're just butthurt at this point because you got a wee bit more kickback than you expected. Just think before you speak next time. I think that's a good rule of thumb that we can all live by.

I think we should get this thread back on track at this point.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:40 pm 
Not completely useless

Fucking hell mate you need to do a bit of growing up. I make an observation and you reply saying you don't give a shit what I say about anything. Excellent attitude. Evidently you do care which is why you've took the time to write a few paragraphs having a go at me. If anyone in here is butthurt it's you. Some people think it's over-patriotic, some don't. What's the problem with that? It's not like I was having a go at/disrespecting the EOD blokes - it was, again, just a passing observation.

"I ‘ve worked with them both and they are a bunch of badasses! Great guys that can drink me under the table!!!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:30 pm 
Quite OK actually

Let's just bury the hatchet man. I've made my point, you've made yours, nothing else needs to be said. To be clear, I don't give a shit what anyone thinks, never have, so it's nothing against you personally. Sorry if I offended you. Not worth getting upset about on either end.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:21 am 
Not completely useless

Yes mate, agree. Sorry for offending you - I'll avoid comments on other nations from now on.

Back on topic:

Removed due to lack of PERSEC

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:07 pm 
I can't work for assholes

You missed their nametapes.

Offline Profile