It is currently Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:51 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: SU-230A Elcan Specter "HD"
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:05 pm 
The New Guy

Thought I would take the time to share with you all some pictures and comparisons of an extremely rare optic that I have recently acquired. This is the latest generation Elcan Specter DR 1-4x articulated rifle scope calibrated with the 7.62 BDC denoted "SU-230A".

The 'A' model is already an uncommon sight in civilian hands, but what makes this sample truly unique is it's "Heavy Duty" designation.

The Specter HD is a direct response to the issues presented by the Mk 17's unique recoil impulse which has been known to damage optics and delicate electronic aiming devices.

When Elcan/Raytheon supplied several units to their largest distributor, one eventually fell into my possession. Currently it is the only HD out of military/supplier circulation - For the time being, a real one of a kind.

Recently due to high demand Elcan has manufactured a limited run of "FDE" Specter DR's; a configuration previously reserved for SOCOM, this time produced for the commercial market instead. All of which posses the new "Heavy Duty" improvements that I will describe in the next post. However none of the commercial units are marked as such, nor do they feature the same military calibrated BDC reticle as this one.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: SU-230A Elcan Specter "HD"
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:30 pm 
The New Guy

Early generation Elcan DR's were known to have a "wondering" zero due to a loosening windage adjustment bar. Here we see an example of a Gen III Elcan's windage drum.

And the HD's significantly larger adjustment bar for increased durability. Also evident is the copious amount of red Loctite used on the locking screws.

Other physical differences are minor, such as the styling of the rear rain sight (HD in the background).

Being that the majority of enhancements are internal, its difficult to spot any difference from an outward appearance.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:42 pm 
Earning his keep

oh man soooo friggin' jealous. I know doc was looking for one of these for his civi mk.17. He and I both have the 5.56 FDE mil. version's, so you're saying the internals won't stand up to prolonged shooting with .308 in the Scar?

there was an SF dude here in SoCal who had a couple of the 5.56 versions that had the newer adjustable arm's inc. levers, do you know if there are 7.62 versions out there with the same upgrade? or are they all the standard arms levers still?

Also the red loctite screws, on my 5.56 version (and others I've seen) the screws came from the factory with the screws partially unscrewed and sticking out, do you know why that is? I never messed with it, but noticed your 5.56 version has the same thing. On other specters I've seen the screws sat all the way in like your 7.62 version

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:23 pm 
The New Guy

troth020390 wrote:
so you're saying the internals won't stand up to prolonged shooting with .308 in the Scar?

Not entirely, though they wouldn't have made these changes if there weren't repeated incidents of the Mk 17 causing issues. Incidentally the 7.62 calibrated Elcan's let alone the HD's are so rare even in SOCOM units that many are left using the 5.56 DR's on the SCAR instead. I too have used the previous 5.56 version on the 17S without issue.

troth020390 wrote:
do you know if there are 7.62 versions out there with the same upgrade? or are they all the standard arms levers still?

The lever upgrades are direct from A.R.M.S. themselves and are user installed. All current issued DR's have standard non-adjustable mounts.

troth020390 wrote:
Also the red loctite screws, on my 5.56 version (and others I've seen) the screws came from the factory with the screws partially unscrewed and sticking out, do you know why that is?

The locking screws are intended to be fastened once you have zeroed your windage to prevent unintentional adjustment. The Loctite that comes from the factory on the HD is just an added measure of security.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:03 pm 
Part of the furniture

Hey Squid, congrats, that is cool piece.

I have SOCOM's version of this for 5,56 and I would love to change its mounts for adjustable arm's.
But I cant find this upgrade at ARMS website. Please share the link for it, thanks.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:50 pm 
The New Guy

You have to call them to order, $15 shipped for a set.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:39 pm 
The New Guy

This HD (Heavy Duty) Elcan Specter was created due to reports of the Mk17 destroying optics and electronics due to it's recoil impulse Most of the SOPMOD accessories were only designed to be used on 5.56 systems. The EOTech on my buddy's Mk17 shit the bed after only 400 rounds.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:35 pm 
Earning his keep

hey kilo, do you know which model eotech he used? I wonder too if the peq-15 's holdup to the mk.17's recoil. They're advertised for 5.56 only (not sure bout the newest ones), but they seem to be on everything these days.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:50 am 
The New Guy

The EOTech that went down was the SU-231/PEQ or 553 model. The EOTech is probably the least reliable optic out of all the current SOPMOD accessories. Reports of dead EOTechs are quite common. The Mk17's are not easy on optics and electronics; LA-5 lasers have also experienced failures when mounted on them.

Interestingly enough, you hear far less reports of the civilian version SCAR-17 destroying optics and electronic devices. I have a theory that it is because the civilian version of the rifle comes with a muzzle brake, which mitigates some of the recoil. The military Mk17 has a flash hider/suppressor mount which does not have any recoil reducing effects. Take that for what it's worth...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:10 pm 
Not completely useless

troth020390 wrote:
oh man soooo friggin' jealous. I know doc was looking for one of these for his civi mk.17.

thanks for the heads up for medic23's SU230A bro, I owe you. It's a non-HD version so hopefully my non-muzzlebraked 17S doesn't break it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:18 am 
Earning his keep

hey no prob. man you don't owe me a thing 8) . Just get some more pics up of that mk.17, things a beast. I'm still confused on the HD thing, arn't 7.62 specters considered the HD's? Marked or unmarked?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:41 am 
Not completely useless

the azimuth adjustment on the one medic23 sold looks different than both the 5.56 SU230 or the HD 230A.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:58 am 
The New Guy

Such and old topic but still interesting.
Did a search on Elcan Gen 4's on google and there was a picture or image of one totally different.
1X-6X.
Totally different from any I have ever seen plus with a different lever.
Anybody got information on what it was? Is it airsoft?

Offline Profile