It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:59 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Plate Carrier
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:57 pm 

Testing a new carrier made by one of our members. There are some points for improvement, which already have been discussed with the maker, but all in all a solid carrier that wears comfortable without shifting. Although all the pictures only show one sort of cummerbund and shoulder pad, it actually came with three (3) different shoulder pads and three (3) different cummerbunds. In the picture the small shoulder pads and the armor integrated cummerbunds are shown.

After testing, the plate carrier will go to three (different) units who all will test it too and give the maker feedback. So far the carrier (still) looks nice and clean, as it only underwent duration wear tests, water tests, weight tests and change of load/panel test.

The front has an integrated ammo pouch on top, and a kangaroo pouch on the bottom. In the front of the kangaroo pouch are three (3) integrated magazine pouches. The flap that covers the front of the cummerbunds is a removable flap which can quickly be exchanged for another flap with a different setup. Underneath the flag (not visible in the pictures) is velcro'ed MOLLE, for those who wish extra retail. Bungees can be added to the magazine pouches for a secure fit. I however opted (along with keeping the top of the carrier clean) to not use this for a smoother retrieval.

The back has fast exchangeable panels, like the front. Or one could mount hardware directly to the carrier itself. On the bottom (not visible in this picture) is the flap that covers the back where the cummerbunds come together. This flap as well as the top has MOLLE so enough room to attach hardware directly to the carrier if wish so. In the picture is a ready assembled panel with one larger general purpose pouch, a radio pouch, and five (5) frag pouches. The GP pouch has three (3) sewn in pockets. Two (2) towards the outside, each large enough for a magazine, and one towards the carrier in which one easily can hold three (3) ASAP meals. As shown in the picture there is still sufficient room in between for e.g. a MRE.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Plate Carrier
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:16 am 
Not completely useless

Looks well thought out;

Couple of questions; How do you like the adjustment straps on the front inside of the carrier?

What's the weight like/what kind of material was used?

Will it fit different thicknesses of plates? And what size side plates?

Really liking the GP pouch with the mag pockets inside... genius.

Can I get on the mailing/waiting list for when these go into production? :mrgreen:

Cheers,

S

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:30 am 
Part of the furniture

It looks like new work from Simpen, am I wright?
Cool modern look!

I cant understand where is integrated ammo pouch at the top, is it a pocket above the flag? Maybe I am wrong but it looks more like integrated admin pouch then ammo...

Can we have a closer look at the small black and red label? :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:37 am 
Quite OK actually

It looks like something from Asgaard Tactical.

The shoulders straps are they made with 3D mesh?

Overall i see alot of random features / utillitys from other carriers combinded into 1..

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:50 am 

The inside front adjustment straps are laying nice and flat and do not cause any chaffing or causes pressure points. This is probably also as the carrier does not shift around and the straps are laying rather flat against the inside.

For the other questions concerning weight, material and such you should ask the maker, Simpen.

Using standard (medium) ESAPI plates and side SAPI plates (8"x8"), did not test for other type of plates.

And as I wrote before, you should ask Simpen for mailing/waiting list.

And yes Sergiy Lysenko and plante you guys seen it right, it is made by Simpen.

Sergiy Lysenko on the picture below the flag are three integrated magazine pouches. On top of the flag is the opening to the integrated admin pouch.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:00 am 
Part of the furniture

Looks good! Kudos to the maker :wink:
Is it possible to get more pics? without pouches and maybe of the panels removed etc.

How does the 4 row of MOLLE feel on the c/b and front flap? (Compared to lets say the 6094).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:28 am 
Not completely useless

Maybe it's the perspective, but it kinda looks that when one adjusts this PC to ride front plate high (top of plate at suprasternal notch) to cover vital areas, pouches mounted on cummerbund will end up in axilla restricting their use and possibly even motion.

Can you please post pic of PC with some bigger (utility/ MED) pouch on 3 or 9 o'clock while wearing it?

It just concerns me, because I see too many guys with their plates too low to do their primary job...

thanks

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:24 am 
Administrator
Administrator

@Dtto: the carrier pictured is approximately 1.5kg IIRC and its all made out of 1000D. Keep in mind that this is but a prototype and I am in the process of cutting down weight and optimizing the design. However I dont want to go to deep in to that until the first round of T&E has been finished. Im hoping to be able reduce weight by approximately 40% for the total system. Weight reduction per component will vary.

Its designed to carry size Medium and size Large SAPI plates with backers. Side plates will require additional pouches There are elastic keepers inside the carriers and a suspension system to adjust the height of the plate in case smaller plates are used.

@Sergiy Lysenko: Its a cangaroo pouch with a removeable 3 mag insert.

Plante: No 3D mesh on these shoulderpads, its still a prototype so that might change though but I gotta stock up on some of it to see what I think about it first.

Kaja: The intent of the tall cummerbund is primarily to allow you to carry softarmor and not to be load bearing, and if large pouches get in the way just move them or mount them lower.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:44 am 
I can't work for assholes

Quote:
The back has fast exchangeable panels, like the front.
How does this panel attach? I think I see a SRB or 2 there, but I'm not sure.. Also, does the front have the same type of panels, or is that a typo?

None the less it looks great, and very functional!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:30 am 
Part of the furniture

Simpen I am curious to know your opinion on 330D cordura.
How do you think will it suits to yours carrier?
Asking because you are talking about cutting down weight and I recently have got fancy LBT pack made from 330 cordura - it is made from air but at the same time it looks strong enough.

Mate and one more question just from curiousity, how long does it takes to made this carrier? (only sewing without prototyping)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:15 pm 
The New Guy

Plastic buckles on a front end of shoulder straps (for quick replacement of pads) - is it comfortable and "friendly" with carbine buttstock?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:22 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

@Essal: The modular backpanels attach to my proprietory metal buckles in the top and via T-bars in the sides. Front panels attach via velcro in to the cangaroo pouch.

@Sergiy Lysenko: I like the option of having 330D for when its needed, but with that being said simply using a lighter fabric isnt a universal solution for cutting down weight of the gear. You need to look at all aspects of the item and consider more than just the fabric. I'm in the process of analyzing the different components of the carrier and their weight, I weigh and measure everything and then compile this information in to a spreadsheet that will help me analyze how the carrier weight is affected by utilizing different types of material and webbing.

With that being said, the most drastical way to reduce the weight for the end user is simply to carry less. Im not saying thats an excuse to design heavy equipment and get away with it, but at a certain level the weight/durability ratio is just not good enough to justify the weight savings. And lets face it, no matter how hard I optimize the carrier I wont be able to reduce as much weight as you would by carrying one less magazine.

It takes a couple of hours, I think I clocked the last one I made at 8 hours. But I guess I will be able to cut that down a little more once development is finished. Manufacturing larger quantities will also help reduce the time per carrier.

@McMihal: The intent of those buckles is partially to make it easier to get in and out of the carrier, but it will also allow you to quickly exchange the shoulderstraps/shoulderpads. I'll let Sine Pari answer the rest of your question.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:19 pm 

McMihal the shoulder straps are laying nice and high on the shoulder and so leave enough space near my shoulder joint/clavicle to arrest the butt of my weapon. And yes it is comfortable, there are non pressure point etc. Not being able to arrest your weapon is more a cause of to much/bulky hardware on top of the carrier than that it be caused by shoulder straps anyhow if you ask me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:57 pm 
Not completely useless

Thanks Simpen, I don't usually have stuff under my arms, but some guys do. But I was mostly concerned about ability to ride it high enough.

Sine Pari: would you be able to post some pics of you carrying this PC?

BTW: I know it's too soon, but do you have any idea on availability/ price? I plan getting new PC in few months, and this looks promising (Tn'E dependent :)).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:04 pm 

I will make some detailed pictures as well as some pictures wearing it in the next few days.

Offline Profile