It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 3:27 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Shellback Tactical Banshee Modification
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:03 pm 
The New Guy

The Shellback Tactical Banshee is a popular piece of kit used by citizen shooters, police, and some Special Forces. One of the biggest complaints of the vest is the poor weld between rifle stock and shoulder strap. When shouldering a rifle, the Banshee’s large shoulder buckles slide the rifle stock off of the shoulder and into the bicep. To create a better shoulder weld for rifles, the shoulder straps on the Banshee need to be as low profile as possible, also it’s helpful when using the Shellback Tactical padded shoulder pads with this mod. The mod and the improved shoulder pads create a comfortable and lower-profile position for a rifle stock to sit solidly. The pictures below will show the hardware I modded while experimenting and the off-the-shelf parts I ended up using on my vest.

The hardware I used to experiment with the shoulder mod is ITW Nexus and SKD PIG.

Early on I used standard ITW Nexus hardware found in their various buckle replacement kits. I took ladder locks and made cuts similar to the cut outs on existing tri-glide hardware. The hard part of this mod is cutting off the original buckles, the disclaimer is when they’re gone, they’re gone.

The ITW hardware was a proof of concept that proved that the Banshee could get low-pro shoulder straps. Shouldering my rifle with this mod was far more comfortable than using the factory buckle design.

The first step is cutting off the female buckle off. The modded tri-glide serves as a cinch for the Banshee webbing strap. The ladder lock was intended to secure the webbing strap so slipping isn’t a problem and the Banshee can still have adjustable shoulder straps.

Early field tests proved that shouldering a rifle was more comfortable and stable with the new mod. However, since I was using custom cut parts, the vest wasn’t as secured as factory buckles. Honestly I’d have more piece of mind if parts we’re readily available and “field” ready. Doing extensive research, SKD’s PIG line offered a good source of inspiration and source of “field” ready hardware.

I tried each type of hardware beginning with the ITW G-hooks, then the SKD PIG buckle strap and G-hook, and finally the SKD PIG D-ring cinch and G-hook.

Before:

After:

The SKD PIG D-ring cinch with G-hook worked the best. Since the G-hook was stamped steel, it is virtually unnoticeable and indestructible. The double D-ring cinch on the SKD PIG strap allowed for maximum adjustability of the Banshee straps. Adding some 100mph tape to tie down the excess webbing adds more security.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Shellback Tactical Banshee Modification
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:30 pm 
Quite OK actually

Thanks for doing this thread and showing how you did the mod, I will do the same mod when I recieve my Banshee from OP tactical. :D

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Shellback Tactical Banshee Modification
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:35 pm 
The New Guy

You're very welcome.

I figure I'll add to this thread if other mods come to mind for this vest. Even though I have other "better designed" vests, for some reason I just can't seem to leave the Banshee behind. It definitely has that underdog quality.

Offline Profile