It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:59 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Service K-9s
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:26 pm 
Not completely useless

I know this isn't so much military related, but he was performing public service and died in the line of duty.

http://news.yahoo.com/rocco-k9-police-dog-funeral-pittsburgh-194339478.html

Was wondering how you guys feel about this?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Service K-9s
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:53 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

As a current dog owner and as one that fairly recently(in august) had to say goodbye to my previous dog, I have no issues with a K9 receving such an honor for his service. The sadness and loss that I experienced losing _my_ dog way surpassed what I have ever felt loosing a human friend, and as such I can imagine that the bond between the K9 and its handler was equally strong.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:16 am 
I can't work for assholes

As a previous K9 officer myself, i think there was NOTHING wrong with what they did…. so you were 5 minutes late getting to starbucks to setup your mac and blog away at a public location with free wifi. and you are upset over a funeral for "just a dog". the funeral was not really for the dog, it was for his handler, his unit, his department, and friends and family of those. the only person who can understand a k9 handler and the relationship with the k9 is another k9 handler. the close next will be the handlers spouse and family. behind that is other officers who are dog owners. then officers. then regular dog owners behind that. its a relationship that is bonded in unspeakable emotion. until you've had a conversation with your dog at 2am, and you believe and feel that it was actually a two way conversation. until you've had someone, or a k9, SELFLESSLY risk themselves for you, without a second thought. yes, your partner might or another officer, but theres always a thought first. with a k9, there is no thought process when risking their life for yours. when the greatest fear you've felt is sending your k9 into an unknown location to track or even knowing that a suspect is currently in there. I'm tearing up thinking back. was probably one of the BEST assignments I've ever had….

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:16 pm 
Part of the furniture

Quote:
how you guys feel about this?

Yesterday, was most fucking horrible day in my life. Literally.
I had quick morning walk with my dog. After 10 minutes of relaxed walking suddenly her breathing becomes very heavy and when I notice that she fall in syncope. The most terrible part starts from here - after two second of laying without signs of life epileptic seizure started . It was very powerful convulsions. All her body, every single muscle was under tension.
This seizer lasts 3 minutes. When was small, several seconds break and when seizer hit again and even more powerful.
Now she is alive and we spent day and night in hospital.

How did I feel during that -
All that time I was trying to hold her, crying and asking to stay alive. As I said I was scary for her life as fuck.

Regarding public service for fallen military/police working dogs - of course they deserve it, because dogs consciously sacrifice they life to protect handler. And they do it not because they are educated but because they feel that way. And that feeling is stronger then self-preservation instinct.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:16 am 
I can't work for assholes

:cry:
Literally bro!!!!
Hope all gets well.....

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:24 pm 
Part of the furniture

As i've lost a dog in a hunting accident (ran up on a road and got hit by a car) and all the emotion during that time i can't say that it's anything but appropriate for this service k9.

For the people thinking that it's not, all i have to say is "sincerely, fuck you."

Offline Profile