It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:02 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Special Forces Help
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:58 am 
Not completely useless

Hey guys,

It's been a long time since I posted, but I wanted to ask for some help.
I'm signing up tomorrow for 18x in the Army, which, as most people here will know, it's a direct line to SF selection. I still have about 8 months before I leave, since I'm finishing up school and I'm already at the top shape of my life that I've ever been, which still isn't good enough for what I believe I'm in for.
I know there are many Elite forces members here, and I would love to hear all the help you guys have to offer. Please PM, or respond here. You may also e-mail me which I'll release via PM.

Currently, my workouts include the Insanity schedule (for the second time around), lifting every other day, hockey 5 days a week, and running whenever I don't feel I'm too burned out (which is about twice a week).
I've heard rucking and swimming are a necessity, but between school, collegiate hockey, and community service hours for my major, I don't really find much time for that.

Again, any help will be amazing. I picked up the book "Get Selected! A guide to being selected for Special Forces" and I'll be reading that once it gets here.

Thanks in advance

ps. If this isn't the right place to post this, please move it or PM me if it needs to be deleted or locked completely. Thanks.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Special Forces Help
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:00 am 
I can't work for assholes

If you're not on ProfessionalSoldiers.com you need to register, read, and don't talk. Just read. Find time for rucking. That is NOT a skill that just appears. Find time to swim. Hell, find time to not suck at anything you suck at.

Get Selected is an excellent book.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:09 am 
Not completely useless

^^^ Thank you. I'm currently searching all through those forums. Only on my second topic and I've learned a lot of new information.

Thanks for the heads up, and I'll be sure to keep doing the work.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:43 am 
The New Guy

A tip would be to buy the book "Fighting Fit" written by Adrian Weale.
You'll have three different programs to start off at depending on how your physique already is.
I would suggest starting with the 2nd one (the fighting fit one), when that's done you move on to the selection program.

Oh, and hockey is great, but if you're dead set on making selection then you might want to drop hockey now and start the training that you do need for your future career. There are no shortcuts.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:32 am 
Part of the furniture

I'm not specialy entitled to comment on a dedicated 18x fitness training as I'm not american, but as a general rule of thumb, you should focus your prep on cardio (running, swimming, rucking) and body weight training (push-ups sit-ups etc...).
Stay away from heavy lifting, it won't do you any good on your stamina, which is what you're probably going to need the most. Use that time to run some more.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:10 am 
Not completely useless

Get good at Land Nav. As an 18X, you'll have a chance to practice land nav a little bit in basic and then again at SOPC, but it's invaluable to your success in the course. You will do the star course out at selection, and then you'll do another land nav course in Phase 1, which in my opinion was tougher than the Star course due to the terrain (and the fact that there was 0% illumination when I did it). Success at SUT (phase 2) also has a lot to do with how well you can land nav. You'd be surprised how many guys get dropped for it (51% of my class got recycled during the land nav course in phase 1).

Just as you are always doing land nav in the course, you will have a ruck on for pretty much the whole Q Course as well, so like PKM mentioned, get comfortable underneath a ruck. You should be averaging about 11-12 minute miles with a 45 lb ruck (dry weight- add the 2qt canteens). The rucks only get heavier as the course goes on- during SUT the average weight of the rucks were around 90lbs and at Sage they get even heavier.

Come in the best shape you can, but realize you will probably lose some of that in basic and airborne school as the PT isn't all that intense. However, when you get to Bragg you will do a lot of crossfit style workouts in SOPC hold and SOPC. You'll usually work out twice a day during those and you'll be in good enough shape for selection by then. The SOPC program is an awesome course that really sets you up for success at SFAS- it used to be just a big smoke session to weed people out, but it's constructive now. Selection is the easy part, once you get into the Q it starts to suck more- although team week sucked big time. Just realize that it's not impossible by any means, you just have to have the mindset that things are going to suck but it will eventually end.

As far as books, I didn't feel like I got anything out of Get Selected or any boom for that matter. Chosen Soldier will give you somewhat of an idea about the pipeline, but the Q is always changing and that was written years ago.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:22 pm 
Not completely useless

Great thread! I'm actualy planning my start into the military, it will probably be in July 2017, this thread showed me a few things...Hope you'll pass all the selections and courses!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:08 pm 

Call SF Recruiting at Ft. Bragg (910-432-1818) and ask for PT31-210-SWCS (If you do not have it already). Sign up at http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/ (read the rules and oblige by them), make an introduction and see if there is someone near you who wants to be your mentor. You will need someone to help you with land nav so you learn it right, and practice it as much as possible. Do ruck marches, but start slow and light. If you start of with more than you can take you will only get yourself into problems (back, legs, etc). Do not just train your muscles, but keep those grey cells active as well. Keep learning, as you will have to studying lot during all phases.

PM me if you got any questions.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:33 am 
Part of the furniture

The better shape you're in before basic the better. Maybe email Rob @ military athlete. He'll set you up on the right track for pre-basic pt. Stay active and play sports if possible. The 18x's from my class were in great shape and put me to shame on the rucks and runs. Stay focused and dedicated. Put everything you've got into your training. You'll have plenty of land nav through sopc and again at sfas. I hadn't done land nav since 2007 and made it, but, if you're nervous or hesitant, grab a map and compass and go hiking in a state park.

Don't quit. Don't even think about quitting. It's toxic. Always take the hard right over the easy wrong. Watch out for shitbags and lazy people as you progress through OSUT and airborne.

PM me if you have any other questions.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:01 pm 
Part of the furniture

I can't really add anything to what's been said except that when you train up, and you've gone as far as you can, force yourself to go further. Make yourself cry in pain and exhaustion if you can!

Make sure you can swim well in a uniform and boots (train with a buddy). And get the bottoms of your feet as tough as leather.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:22 am 

Do take care of your feet, but don't get the bottom of your feet as tough as leather, as it will only give complications when you do get blisters. :wink:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:36 am 
Part of the furniture

I defer to what ever Sine Pari says. 8)

And I was figuratively speaking regarding getting your feet "tough as leather". The ladies wouldn’t like that either. :wink:

I do have one bit of personal advice on this topic. You're going to hear and read all kinds of techniques to preventing blisters on the ruck. Find one that works for you, train that way, and then don't second guess yourself and change it up for the tryouts. That was a big mistake I made, among others.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:35 pm 
Not completely useless

As they said, definitely take care of your feet. During train up, don't go so far that your feet get all messed up. It will take a week or so for them to heal back up, and that's a week that you could be running/rucking. You will read a bunch of stuff about keeping your feet dry, but they are going to get wet no matter what. Most of our rucks were through at least a little bit of water, and one route brings you through waist deep water. During team week they made everyone get into the water up to your neck to bring core temp down. You'll just have to accept being wet.

Also, you can wear whatever boots you want, as long as they are in regs. So find a few pairs you like and break them in. One thing I wish I would have done is to bring 19 pairs of socks so that I could change into clean socks everyday. They let you wash your clothes in the sinks out there but even with that my socks were kind of stiff when I put them on. A nice soft pair of socks is a real morale booster.

Some guys get pretty bad blisters but most don't, as long as you take care of your feet. I've not gotten one blister since I've been in.

Offline Profile