It is currently Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:30 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Mayflower APC vs. Eagle APC/DPC
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:50 pm 
Part of the furniture

Foreword
I will try to keep this review as objective as possible and try not to make this into a "THESE JEDI KNIGHTS USE THIS AND THAT".
This review is written from the eyes of a collector as well as airsofter. If any of you HSLD guys are interested in either of these two carriers and have questions that this review won't answer, please ask and i'll try to answer to the best of my possibilities.

Alright, now that we've got this out of the way, lets go to the nylon!

First off, i bought the Eagle carrier at pretty much random (the people who know me knows that i tend to do such things). I've had the Mayflower for a while and have gotten to use it quite a bit and i really enjoy wearing it. The only thing that i can complain about is the cummberbund being on the small side. HOWEVER, that wasn't a design flaw. It was me thinking i'm skinnier than i actually am and got the small cummerbund which is only 5 MOLLE wide.
As of right now, i haven't used the Eagle carrier other than tried it out at home. At first, it was to large for me (mine's in l/xl since i heard they run quite small in sizing) but after a quick fix by "modding" the way that the cummerbunds attach it now fits me like a god. Also, good to mention is that Mayflower made the PC for regular SAPI plates while the Eagle PC is made for swimmer cut plates. However, i think that you can fit Large SAPI plates in the L/XL version. Don't quote me on that though, i might be wrong.

Both carriers are made out of 500d cordura, which i personally think is perfect. I don't need to have everything in 1000d that will last for 10 solid years of crawling over rock, gravel and shit like that. I won't use it that hard.
Even though both carriers are 500d i find that the Eagle carrier is slightly heavier, this is probably because it's larger in size. I haven't bothered to put them both on a scale, this is rather felt weight.
However, when putting on the Eagle carrier i find out that the fit is actually better and it offers a more comfortable snug fit than the Mayflower.

ImageImage

Moving on to features.
Both carriers feature a 3-mag kangaroo pouch in the front, Eagle offers built in radio pouches and Mayflower gives you the ability to put kangaroo pouches in the cummerbunds. Mayflower also offers a much better built-in admin pouch behind the velcro covered molle on the top of the front part. Both are also covered in molle webbing, offering you the ability to put on all sorts of pouches and shit like that.
Not convinced.

Regarding the padding of the shoulder pads i'd have to say it's a draw. I think that the Mayflower pads will keep your shoulders cooler due to their padding but Eagles are equally comfortable. Fully comparable to CIRAS pads, if not even better. Both carriers also offers the capability for side sapis, the dimensions in each carrier i don't know but could easily be checked out on each manufacturers website.

ImageImage

I like this type of carrier for mainly two reasons. The first being that it's got integrated mag pouches and the second being that i personally don't get the filleverypals syndrome that can occur on for example a CIRAS. I want to run this carrier light weight. That's why i only run 3 mags and if i really need to, i can put 1-2 mags in one of the integrated radio pouches.

In conclusion, the quality of the rigs are about equal, atleast from the general look and feel of it. The both offer nice features, not the exact same. One thing that Eagle, aswell as LBT should consider is different sized cummerbunds that Mayflower offers. However, S&S precision offers a nice kangaroo pouch that won't fit Mayflower (i think, please correct me if i'm wrong) but will fit Eagle and LBT.

If i was on a budget and wanted a nice and comfortable plate carrier for weekend carbine classes, airsoft or for "work" i'd take a closer look at the Mayflower APC. For 210$ you get a really good plate carrier, add 30 bucks for the kangaroo pouch and you're good to go. The ability to attach a Mayflower chest rig to it via QASM buckles for easy kitting up and down without losing the protection that the plates offers is also a really nice thing.

But if i wanted an LBT 6094 type carrier but don't want to shell out the 300+ dollars for it i'd check out the Eagle APC/DPC/DEVGRU Plate Carrier. Call it what ever you like, for 230$ this is a real steal. It doesn't offer the same capabilities that mayflower with easy attaching and detaching of chest rigs, but you can't always get everything in life.
As of right now i favor this due to it fitting me a bit better than Mayflower.

In conclusion, the quality of the rigs are about equal, atleast from the general look and feel of it. The both offer nice features, not the exact same. One thing that Eagle, aswell as LBT should consider is different sized cummerbunds that Mayflower offers. However, S&S precision offers a nice kangaroo pouch that won't fit Mayflower (i think, please correct me if i'm wrong) but will fit Eagle and LBT.

(Please share your thoughts on this review. What could've been better, what was good and stuff like that)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Mayflower APC vs. Eagle APC/DPC
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:23 pm 
Earning his keep

nice :lol:
thanks for sharing

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:09 pm 
IRC-manager

Indeed, thanks for sharing. I am happy with my APC but it is great to know what DPC has to offer. I am thinking of getting a pair of those Crye mbitr pouches that "fix" the lack of mbitr pouches in APC's cummerbund.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:51 am 
Part of the furniture

I'm using the APC w/ crye MBITR pouches. Works great. You can stuff 2 mags in them but they won't be easy to access.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:35 pm 
Not completely useless

horsefighting wrote:
I'm using the APC w/ crye MBITR pouches. Works great. You can stuff 2 mags in them but they won't be easy to access.

For me, (tall and skinny) this reduces the comfortlevel drastically.
The MBITR really digs into my side.
Works great with JPC, not so with APC, but that's only my opinion.
You may like it;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:58 am 
Earning his keep

3rd picture from above, may I ask what is that TQ holder?

Offline Profile