It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 6:58 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: S&S Precision (Manta, VLite, and Weaponlink)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:18 am 
I can't work for assholes

Just got in a nice package from S&S, and wanted to share my thoughts...
S&S is very new to me, and have only seen few pics. But i got in contact with S&S owner, and we talked for some bit, and an order was later placed.
I went with their Manta, VLites, and weaponlink.

(my first half ass review, so please be nice....)

First off, is the Manta. These things definitely have the HSLD look. The first thing i noticed, is their shape. It has that nice contour on the backside, to fir your helmet. unlike a MS2000, which has various ways to carry, this appears directly designed for headwear. its contoured perfect for a MICH/ACH but i see no problem with any helmet. again, way better then a flat ms2000. there is pre affixed velcro, which is nice and secure, but not too bad like ripping off a large patch. comes off fairly simple, but still sturdy. and its a tan color. the upper section is about 90% clear. this was a concern at first, as i was thinking itd be more susceptible to breackage, but its fairly thick in the mounting areas, and strategic supports in place. this also showed a bonus in the strobe feature, as being on the head, it gave a more rounded strobe affect, vs the ms2000 directional. the shape also seems that itd help with not snagging, and helping with the non breakage. runs off of one cr123a. the battery cap acts as on/off switch. its plastic, and the shape is odd to touch, but you arent messing with taking it on and off. the button, id compare to the button on the A23 tailcap on the M3X. the rubbery button is inset in cap, and you click the one/off button on the battery cap and it give a very discernible vibration three times, to let you know the unit is on. it starts off on IR mode, so that just lets you know its on. you can feel it clearly with helmet on. to swap to color (green) strobe, you hold the two side rubber button for .5 seconds. this gives you the green strobe function. very bright! these button are a little tricky to get to with just ungloved hands in bathroom, so i am assuming itd be a huge PITA with gloves, in a hostile environment. to turn off, you simply click the on/off button. then you have to go through process again, if wanting green (turn on, then side buttons). Its a little taller then a ms2000, but since its contoured, you dont see it vs having the flat ms200 sitting on a curved helmet. its obviously shorter, but just a shy not as wide.
i am very impressed. the $250 price tag seems a little steep to me, but if you have the cash, id say its a helluva piece of kit to add to your bad ass helmet. (personally, i think they look SICK on a FAST Bump).

NOTE: i did receive two slightly different versions. one is as above, the other is identical, except the clear plastic on top, has VLite molded in. as well as a metal batter cap. i like the feel of this cap, but not the button. it is much smaller, and not so much of a discernible click. but it does let you go straight to IR from color, by one click, vs having to click off, then go through cycle again....

the Vlites, i was very impressed with. id seen them on some lids, and never thought much of them. but im sold now! they come in various colors, where manta is IR/green only, these come in IR, blue, green, red (backordered). there are various sequences for button, but check their site for that. i got on/blink/off. first click, constant on, second click, flash, and so on.... the come in two pieces. ill get the case out of the way real quick. its tan plastic, backed with same velcro as manta. its very flexible, and comes with a string. has two holes that say for hard mounting (stake, vehicle, dog harness, etc.). theres three loops that hold just above and below of button (structural?) and a third low some distance away from the other two (allows for a significant amount of unimpeded light). like manta, it holds to helmet nice, but not too ridiculous. the second piece, is the clear, jelly, feeling housing. inside you can see that majority is nothing but filling or this jelly like substance (to carry light, kinda fiberoptic style). then on top, theres the led bulb you can see. above that, about a dime size area, you see the battery (on bottom), circuit board, then button on top. all of this is encapsulated in the jelly stuff. the color of of the circuit board denoted color of LED (as bulb is clear). the blue, red, green, are obvious, but IR has a black board. this thing is crazy flexible, but id be concerned with bending near LED bulb. its perfectly sized to be slid into molle webbing, and serves quite well there. these things are crazy bright, but like a glowstick, not a flashlight. they are bright to see, but dont put off too much light. if that makes any sense... these i am VERY IMPRESSED with! they say 120 hours use. and if you start cost analysising that with chem lights, the ~$45 tag aint too bad. although the battery is encapsulated, i have heard that the jelly can be split, and battery replaced, but you lose your water proofness. card says i think 66 feet, and then water pressure with depress button, activating light. these i will strongly recommend! if you are running chems on gear often, this might be a cost saver, and HSLD....

lastly is the weaponlink. i do not have a railed rifle on hand right at this moment, so very basic. its a BHI CQC belt holder. the receiver mount im assuming was designed around that, as the mounting screws line up exact. the male end attaches to your rail. the male is two parts, and comes with loctite and you slide the rail piece on, then screw in male piece. the male piece locks into rail, as well as provides ring area to slide into female mount on CQC. there is a detent ball on male part that locks into female. the female section, is pretty much just an open socket which the male slides into. there is a divot, that the detent ball then fits in. so you are just pretty much having to overcome friction, and the spring tension on small detent ball.
my only concern is that the male section is solid, and does not provide a rotation, which from playing without loctited, the male can begin to unscrew, since female sections is quite tight.
it also appears that it is not really a high speed tool. maybe for someone who can sit down with alot of time to train with it, but the tolerance and size is small, id say it falls under those fine motor skills, vs the hook style weapon catches. its solid, so like me being LEO, i can see it for like holding rifle when deploying and then having access to rifle. drawing it would be as simple as a nice tug. but being able to re catch the weapon, i think itd be a fumble...but again, practice and train.
i like it, and can see a few specific uses, but like manta, ~$250 price tag seems a little high. but also like manta, if you have the cash, go for it!!!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: S&S Precision (Manta, VLite, and Weaponlink)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:41 am 
Quite OK actually

Great pictures and great infos...

Do u think that the Manta can take some beating or will the glass crack easily ?

Keep up the good work...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:19 am 

i think it will hold its on. if youve taken apart any of your plastic household items, you might have seen the built in/molded ridges, 3d kinda structure, thats what it appears to be like inside.

heres some vids....

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:29 am 
Not completely useless

It's....so...beautiful...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:25 am 
The New Guy

Oh..my..! I'm ordering myself some vlites!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:24 am 

I'm coompletely in love with them...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:53 am 
Quite OK actually

Great review, those items are all of the awesomes. Specially the manta strobe.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:43 pm 
Not completely useless

Please rehost pictures if you can, I am interested in this reveiw! thx ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:56 am 
Part of the furniture

FYI for those about to buy Vlites - I took mine out for 8 days and after 3 days of hard use (on my lid) it broke. It doesn't click on anymore and the tan "straps" broke. The only way to get the light on is if I flex the light back and forth and find a "sweet spot."

Thought I'd let you guys know that these are not very durable for $40.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:35 pm 
Part of the furniture

Actually had the same problem with two of them but only from leaving them just a little bit bent and compressed against other gear (mounted on plate carrier). Will work with some twisting, but I'm not impressed...

ETA: for the record, they have been sitting on my vest for three weeks, and were actually deployed (not used) no more than 15 hours. One of them must have been through a woopin' 10 minutes of use overall before I noticed those problems.

Don't get me wrong, it's stilll cool in my books, but from a very limited usage perspective (helmet born freefall and the likes). As a basic signaling beacon, there's plenty other options that are cheaper and at least as durable (adventure lights comes to mind)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:51 pm 
Part of the furniture

I sourced some Brite Strike APALS and hope to have some feedback on how they compare to the V-Lites if I can get some help from Danneskjold.

-Vic

"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman." -Thomas Paine

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:15 pm 

Not to hijack the thread, but do anyone know what this British/Dutch chap is running on the back of his lid? Thought it was a V-lite at first, but it's just too long.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:49 pm 
Not completely useless

Dude, you need to rave more!
That looks a lot like a glow-bracelet! ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:31 pm 

It is, they are cheap and don't need batteries.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:42 am 
Earning his keep

Is there a way to secure the Manta strobe down or is the velcro the only point of attachment?

Offline Profile