It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:57 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Reviewish of USCAV
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 5:13 am 
Part of the furniture

If the post in inapropriate, or missplaced i beg our admins and mods to do whatever with this thread.

I need to ventilate, and ask if this really can be right.

Was about to place an order with USCAV tonite. Some funstuff i really doesn't need but sort of want.

Anyways. The total of the order landed on $137.96
To this they add the shipping, $90 (for stuff that weigh alot less then 10lbs, only pants and shirt + soft and fluffy jacket).
They also say that you pay Duties and Taxes with them so that you won't need to pay the customs on your country (some program that USCAV aparently invented). These fees are at $90.08. Shooting from the hip I'd sat that it's about 75% of the value of the order, or 50% if you pay duties and taxes for both the items ordered ($137.96) as well as the insanely expensive shipping.
Swedish duties and taxes fees should land on 25% + a modest customs fee for a total of $38.9 or if you add the (insanly high) shipping cost the fees should be $64,28.

Look at this funny shit:
SubTotal: $137.96
Duties and Taxes: $97.95
Shipping and Handling: $90.08
Grand Total: $325.99

An order that probably would cost me a far below $200 including shipping and fees from any other retailer.

Anyone else have experiences purchasing from USCAV to other countries then the US?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 9:43 am 
I can't work for assholes

I've ordered a couple of times from USCAV and it looks something like that, crazy.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 7:47 pm 

Damn that's some scary shit..

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:23 am 
The New Guy

Thats just stupid. I have placed an order at uscav my self earlier, but ended up cancelling the whole thing. No way does uscav anything that is so "must have" that they can have customer service like this.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Reviewish of USCAV
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:21 pm 
The New Guy

I made an attempt to order two years ago, after three months and about 100 emails they inform me the following. Your order have been aborted due to a system malfunction. I can understand a system mixup but the customservice diden't reply to my requests about the progress. But finaly they do and you know what the order had been canceld a month ago whitout noticing me in any way.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:53 pm 
Not completely useless

Same experience here with us cavalry. Apparaently they're focused on US customers only. :evil:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:15 pm 
Earning his keep

badseed wrote:
Same experience here with us cavalry. Apparaently they're focused on US customers only. :evil:

North America I'd say. I have friends who ordered from there numerous times and didn't had a single issue

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:59 pm 
Not completely useless

Unfortunately, most larger tactical retailers in the US are structured that way. It's not worth it to chase the small % of international orders when they have plenty of customers stateside. Add to that ITAR regulations to keep up with, manufacturers themselves having unique restrictions on where their items can be shipped, and customs randomly derailing orders and they usually don't even offer to ship overseas. I understand their caution to a point. Although I ship orders overseas regularly and I do my best to educate buyers, you wouldn't believe how many emails I still get from a buyer angry that they had to pay XX% in customs fees or custom seized "X" item because it wasn't allowed in their home country. It's out of my control at that point.

If anyone needs help placing orders like this feel free to shoot me a line. I can't help to get ITAR restricted items, and I can't change around customs documents to reduce import fee's, but even then it's still a lot cheaper then $90 shipping + $90 fee's.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:25 pm 
The New Guy

Really? I've never had any probs with USCAV, granted all I have to do is drive 5 min to their store :P

Another one to try is Botachtactical.com

Hes got good prices, shipped to me when i was in afghanistan (APO), he may be better for overseas stuff.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:53 pm 
The New Guy

Botach ruined their reputation a long time ago. It ought to be criminal to recommend them unless they're the only option.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:27 am 

@DocMufasa, All the early posters, with the exception of LegitKit, are living OCONUS and thus are not near e.g. Fort Campell where there are two stores.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:46 am 
The New Guy

Yeah, I know, i noticed, as i was typing, lol. Thats why i offered botach as a suggestion.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:47 am 
The New Guy

px wrote:
Botach ruined their reputation a long time ago. It ought to be criminal to recommend them unless they're the only option.

How so? I have spent a few hundreds with him, gotten everything i ordered without issue. Explain if you would.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:52 am 
Not completely useless

A simple Google search turned up:

http://botach-tactical.pissedconsumer.com/

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Botach_Tactical

http://www.yelp.com/biz/botach-tactical-los-angeles

Took me longer to type this message then it did to find the avalanche of unhappy customers.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:50 am 
The New Guy

http://lightfighter.net/eve/forums?a=se ... rds=Botach

Some posts dating back from 2003. I had problems with them even before that. It's a hit-n-miss operation trying to order stuff from them. If you're lucky, you get it in time. If you have the same luck as about 95% of their customers you'll get it in 1-24 months time.

Glad it worked out for you with Botach. I do suggest you take a look at the links posted and not let anyone else get the chance to say "Told you so" when they screw it up for you.

In order to get this thread a bit back on track.

The "We handle VAT" is an added service from a lot of retailers doing international business nowadays. It might seem a bit steep, but what they do is handle all the fees the transport company normally adds on top of the VAT. It also cuts down on time at the customs office. Which could be considered an added service to you and therefore worth paying for.

If it's critical that the items you order arrive on time, it's a pretty small sum to pay. Especially considering that if it's that time critical you probably don't care much about VAT and choose UPS International Express or something like that.

And since we live in Sweden, we pay VAT on the "total order value" = items + shipping. In your case it'd be around $280 in total. $50 on top of that is static fees for handling your package, doing all the customs work and of course, handling the VAT for you. Not that much to whine about when you look at it from that perspective.

To add on top of that. Most retailers have a very generic shipping calculator which means that you get pretty high shipping charges, especially when doing international orders. That in turn is such a small fraction of their business that they really don't have the time and/or money to do something about it. It's just there in case someone from Guatemala really wants a Fobus-holster or whatever.

(Most of the retailers I've encountered using this sort of service has a "opt out / I'll handle the VAT"-button hidden somewhere. Since it's something that makes them money they don't advertise it too much though. )

Offline Profile