It is currently Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:31 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: New Soldier's Plate Carrier
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:44 pm 
The New Guy

This is a review by a friend of mine of the new plate carrier being issued to deploying troops. He is about to go to Afghanistan for his second tour and got one of there as well as a whole array of Multicam gear. I though you all would enjoy.

Quote:
As many of you have heard, the Army has switched over to Multicam for Afghanistan operations. They've also began issuing a plate carrier to enable commanders to have the options to equip their men with a lighter weight fighting load.

Heres the vest, fits nicely, feels extremely comfortable compared to the 40 pound IOTV i wore in Afghanistan my first time. It weighs approx 25lbs with XL plates, plus the weight of ammo, comes equipped with a quick release, and is designed only for Front and Side plates. It has MOLLE all over it for affixing pouches. You see the plate carrier, and attached to it on the front via fastek buckles is whats called the TAP, or Tactical Accessory Panel. Its a low profile MOLLE chest rig similar to the Blackhawk! Enhanced Recon rig, where it has integrated mag pouches. It has 6 AR mag pouches on the front, and an M14 or DAGR pouch on either extreme end. The TAP can also be converted for use as just a recon rig independent of the plate carrier. The TAP can also be used with the IOTV in a similar fashion. The TAP can also be used as a single plate carrier for a front plate.

Here you can see the side plate pouches, and how they are adjustable for fit. Also shows the side buckle for the TAP.

Here you can see how the TAP is fastened to the top portion of the vest, and still allows for the quick release cable to function. When the pull tab is pulled the front plate panel falls away.

Close up of the quick release, which is located mid chest, under the velcro patch for the user's rank.

Heres a picture of the TAP when its been detatched, which is great in case you need to doff just that part, for example, if driving a vehicle (my gut barely fits behind the wheel of a humvee in gear :P)

Rear plate panel

All in all, seems like a great setup. Very streamline, lightweight, practical, and I cant wait to try it out. Finally some gear that had some serious thought put into it, and you can tell by the way its set up that end users were consulted in the setup of the equipment.

Last edited by danneskjold on Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fixed quote tags

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: New Soldier's Plate Carrier
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:58 pm 
I can't work for assholes

Good review! The TAP looks like a nice piece of kit, better thought out than the FLC. Is there any straps to allow for wearing the TAP without a plate carrier (similar to the way Vel-Tye does theirs)?

I am curious about how the side plate straps hold up...I have heard they need constant readjusting. Why they chose to not use a conventional cummerbund system is just baffling..

Blog: http://www.dnkholdings.net/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:07 pm 
Quite OK actually

"The TAP can also be converted for use as just a recon rig independent of the plate carrier."
I'd say yes!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:01 am 

Reading is fundamental... :oops:

Any details on how it is done?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:08 am 
Part of the furniture

thanks for the review.

I don't like how the side plates are attached to the front and rear panels, IMO cummerbunds would have been a better option... also no soft armor? I thought soft panels are required in places like Afghanistan (IED risk?).
BTW I think it's a huge improvement compared the the IOTV, but I like the SPC more. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:35 pm 
The New Guy

I'll ask him your questions and post his response on here.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:58 pm 
The New Guy

Are the standard MOLLE pouches, IFAK, ruck, assault pack, etc. issued in MultiCam as well?
Dustin

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:49 pm 

Yep.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:13 am 
The New Guy

I'm the one that wrote the review, im loving the plate carrier so far. Finally got to use it.

danneskjold wrote:
Good review! The TAP looks like a nice piece of kit, better thought out than the FLC. Is there any straps to allow for wearing the TAP without a plate carrier (similar to the way Vel-Tye does theirs)?

I am curious about how the side plate straps hold up...I have heard they need constant readjusting. Why they chose to not use a conventional cummerbund system is just baffling..

Yes, comes with separate straps for use with the plate carrier, IOTV, and independent use. The sidestraps seem really secure, i did a range with some run-n-gun about 3 weeks ago and it went great. A little bouncing, but thats pretty normal.

pezboy wrote:
Are the standard MOLLE pouches, IFAK, ruck, assault pack, etc. issued in MultiCam as well?
Dustin

We got issued the entire Rifleman's kit in Multicam as well, which is basic mag pouches, IFAK, and everything else.

Sorry it took so long to respond, never got a chance to hop over here.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:17 pm 
Not completely useless

A well thought out system, it is a good idea to be more mobile and armour can be rather restrictive at times in vehicles.

At least you have the option depending on the mission and the brass kept this in mind.

:D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:42 am 
Not completely useless

I still hate the giant gaps it leaves - wish it came with a cummerbund, or maybe ballistic panels for the TAP to close up the gaps between the front and side plates. I heard their coming out with a cummerbund retrofit kit, but its something that should have been addressed by Natick when they chose it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:29 pm 
Quite OK actually

It is likely that the c-bund idea was dropped in favor of buckles because KDH tried to cut as much weight for a paper figure as possible. The spec was 1" around the plates, so ridding of c-bund was perhaps the best way to eliminate all possible overlaps.

I personally like the Paraclete ARPHC better, but it is no doubt heavier and way more expensive to make.

Conclusion - KDH's product has room for improvement, but it is still amazing compared to options.

2. You cannot change rule #1.
3. Someone has to walk the point.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:58 pm 
The New Guy

First of all: wow.
I guess when used in comparison to the IOTV for the first time, you might say "wow" with pleasure but trust me. After running an RBAV or a commercially procured, you would say wow with a different connotation.

This is all coming from a light infantry standpoint: whom I believe should be fielding this (with their branch counterparts tasked to do similar missions).

The biggest complaint is comfort: I can't get the damn thing to stay tight around the waist so now with Radio, mags, etc I'm sitting with 60 pounds plus on my shoulders. Makes me want to grab a twinky.

I wear a size medium which hits just below my belly button and I am six foot one, 185 lbs.

Second complaint: molle real estate, pictured below is my HSGI mini mAP. I love it but I wish I had the big modular admin pouch. Alas.

The BUCKLES. Oh holy fuck. 4 damn buckles....I normally have my radio weaves around left buckles running the MAST around back. but damn, wish I had a full cumberbund..

What's big to me is comfort AND weight. the Big Army wants to provide for her young, but the army treats comfort and weight like two camels meeting in the desert.
The side plates dig into your sides and just sag like grandmas tits.

Honestly, a stripped down Generation 4 IOTV is a pretty good alternative.

I am desperately searching for a Mayflower Research Multicam Cumberbund adaptor kit....for obvious reasons.

It does have soft armor too. Just not as much. For vehicle ops I'd still go with IOTV.

Any questions?

This is the front view. http://postimage.org/image/9541dx1qj/

HSGI Mini Admin Pouch http://postimage.org/image/45o8jz6pf/

Side http://postimage.org/image/n35i4xr7v/

Offline Profile