Was this review-ish helpful?
Yes. 88%  88%  [ 7 ]
No. 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
Maybe. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8
 Post subject: Arc'Teryx Gamma AR Pant
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:19 pm 
Part of the furniture

I got these pants a couple of weeks back when i was in the market for a soft shell pant. I looked at both the Orc Ind. L5 pant, Patagonia L5 pant and a couple of other models from Tierra and Norrøna.

I ended up getting the Gamma pant since i've got good intel on basically everything that they've produced. All their gear is made to last and the quality is superb.
The pant itself has a very nice 4 pocket design with to pockets on the front side, just on the top of the thigh and two pockets on each side, maybe 3-4 inches over the knee.
The nice thing with the pants is that they are wind-breaking and can handle rain, for example when i'm hunting there often are longer times that are spent sitting still and if the weather is like it often is in Sweden during the winter - cold and/or pretty wet i'd rather not want to go out and about in the woods with a cotton pant or some copy of the GoreTex membrane. Then the pants work perfect! I'd recommend using some kind of undergarment, I use alot of stuff from Tierra since their quality is superb and they take alot of abuse.
I Use their Sportwool Pant and long-sleeve shirt closest, over i have Powerstretch Pant and Envi Hood. Over the Envi hood i usually wear a TAD Gear Explorer Hood.
However, for heavy rain I wouldn't recommend the pants for the job because, A. Their not intended for it - a soft shell (very open for interpretation) is made to keep you warm and dry during mild weather such as light rain and medium winds.
Yes, different manufacturers make different kinds of soft shells and the general consensus of them all is that they wild hold up against the weather, for a limited amount of time. For real heavy weather i can't recommend anything but GoreTex. Sorry, but that's how i see it.
And now, i've gotten pretty far from topic and i'll try to steer it back.

The downside is.. I've really haven't found one yet, except maybe that it could've featured some zippers for ventilation. Then again, they're not meant to work like that because the fabric itself is very self-ventilating.

All in all, if you want a Good pair of soft shell pants i can't do anything but recommend the Arc'Teryx Gamma AR Pant.
They're not super tacticool looking, nor have I seen any cool SOF operators using them (haven't searched for any either). They won't let you down, as long as you understand their purpose and don't be afraid to get down and dirty with them.

I will update this thread as i get to use them more and more. Will use them this coming weekend for long range hunting and maybe i'll even post some pics from it.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Arc'Teryx Gamma AR Pant
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:40 am 
Part of the furniture

Great initiative! I, myself just bought a pair of the Gamma SK, and I love them. Have not yet tested them completely, but I am just as happy about them as you are of yours :)

Like the idea of this kind of equipment being reviewed as well, maybe a bit off-topic to the forum, but I think many people here might find it interesting. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:59 am 
Part of the furniture

Since people in the community actually uses outdoor gear, and often Arc'teryx. I've seen pics with both rangers and Green Berets using them. However, it was from the LEAF series, but the big difference from 'regular' and 'LEAF' is that the latter is available in the color Crocodile and that some of the LEAF-jackets have velcro on the arms. Atleast in my opinion.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:15 am 
Not completely useless

Would it be possible that you post some of the pics? Especially green berets would be quite cool.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:30 am 
Part of the furniture

Sorry for the late reply, but i'll try to dig up some but i can't at this moment. However, in the ranger or us sof thread i think that there are atleast one or two pics with some arc'teryx.

OWIDZ AIR FORCE BASE, Poland — A radio operator with the 352nd Special Operations Group prepares for jumpers to hit the landing zone during exercises with U.S. and Polish forces here, Dec. 16, 2008. (Department of Defense photo by Army Lt. Col. Donna Scott)

POWIDZ AIR FORCE BASE, Poland — U.S. and Polish parachutists prepare for their next jump during interoperability exercises here, Dec. 16, 2008. (Department of Defense photo by Army Lt. Col. Donna Scott)

EDIT: Added pics.

Offline Profile