PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:53 pm 

Thanks for the update mate :D

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: "Bozzer" Custom Chest Rig
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:48 am 
Earning his keep

Happy to share :D

Been tinkering with this again today.

I decided to jerry rig some kangaroo style ammo pouches for the rig and have it on the left and right of the main map pocket.

Something similar to the LBT 2645 Insert (seen here http://www.optactical.com/lbt263m4inbu.html)

My initial plan was to get some ITW Fastmag's and stick some sticky velcro on the fastmag and call it a day.

The pocket was too tight to accomadate the Fastmag so that idea was out of the window.

Then a small lightbulb lit up in my head when I saw my roll of camping mat.

Since this was still very much a spur of the moment thing, I figured it couldnt hurt to make a quick mock up using the camping mat. And as camping mat is a lot more flexible and absorbent than Kydex, I shouldnt have problems fitting it into the limited space of the internal pocket.

The plan was to cut a simple rectangular strip (the same width as the magazine), fold it in half, attach some sticky back velcro and then use that as the insert.

I was going to wrap the mat with 100mph tape so that it would make the whole thing stiffer and give it some protection from the corners of the mags ripping it etc.

Having done this, I realised that there was enough room around the sides for the mag to fall out of the "insert", therefore a new revision of the insert with side walls was needed..

So I made a "T" shaped insert and gave it the same tape treatment as before with the tape and that seems to have done the trick.

There was obviously no magazine retention at all with a ghetto mod like this so I had to think of a solution for this as well.

At the top of each of the internal pockets, there are webbing tabs sewn on to aid the user in separating the 2 halves of the pocket. I decided to rig up a shock cord & webbing combo similar to those seen on a TT Shingle and that is currently working very well.

The "mod" was just done for shits and giggles to be honest, but it's not without its advantages.

- I can reload from the prone position without having to move my torso at all

- Because of the shock cord retention, the reloads are much quieter due to the lack of velcro.

Pics for anyone interested!

Here is a picture of the "inserts", the first version is on the right. The one on the left was a really quick mock up to see if it would work

The top of the side mags sit about 1" under my armpits now, which I'm not sure if I like or not. They don't seem particularly cumbersome or restrictive but it's definitely different

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:04 pm 
I can't work for assholes

How are you liking that handmic?

Blog: http://www.dnkholdings.net/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:42 pm 
Earning his keep

I've only used it once so far for around 16 hours in a 24 hour period. It is "da bomb" :D

Incoming transmissions are crystal clear and I can only assume the outgoing ones are the same as well. Can't recall having to repeat myself at all. Rugged construction and the rotating clip is an awesome design as well.

The audio clarity is clearer than my Comtac's :lol: , I would expect that is due to the Handmic being wired specifically for my radio whereas the Comtac's use the amp circuit etc.

Only thing I don't like is the 3.5mm jack for earpiece's, it is too insecure imo. I found that the slightest snag will pull the whole thing out.

I'm not sure if it even exists, but if they used a jack which had a simiilar "tightness" to the Nexus TP120 plugs then that'd be a winner imo.

And of course, thanks for the heads up on it and bumping it as well :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:46 pm 
I can't work for assholes

I havent used the earpiece jack at all, so I cant comment - but maybe ziptie the cord on? Just run it over the top and over..

I am a big fan of the "hi-low" audio volume settings as well...its a very nice handmic!

Blog: http://www.dnkholdings.net/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:13 pm 
Earning his keep

Great idea on the earpiece, the shock cord will have to come out again!

Agreed on the hi and low setting as well, came in handy more than once when I used it.

Great piece of kit for the price. Lightyears ahead of the PD offerings and alternatives available, I would say it's even better than the modded PRR/Bowman headsets as well.

Offline Profile