It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 6:57 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: "Bozzer" Custom Chest Rig
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:04 pm 
Earning his keep

Hi all,

Having sold a lot of gear recently I was left with a Paraclete RAV, Paraclete HPC and a Blackhawk Plate Carrier.

They're all fine and dandy but I wanted a relatively small and lightweight rig as well, purely for lazy PD Days where I can't be arsed to put on a big door kicking rig.

So I set out looking at different brands and kinds of chest rigs but couldnt really find any suitable for various reasons (cost, design etc etc).

Eventually I got into contact with a chap who goes by the name "Bozzer" on ASCUK forums who's been making kit for a fair amount of time.

Long story cut short, I asked him if he would consider making a rig similar to Mayflower's old Paraclete Chest Rig as seen here

http://www.specwargear.com/images/vest- ... st%201.jpg

I'll admit now that the reason I chose that rig was purely for the aesthetics :P

At the same time though I made a few changes to suit my preference, here are the main changes.

-I don't plan to pair this with the PLCE Daysacks so the fastex on the shoulder harness could be left off.

-I didn't need as much real estate as the Paraclete one was well so I only asked for 14 columns of PALS (which in itself is more than I need), whereas the Paraclete one looks to have about 16 columns.

-It looks like the main shoulder straps on Mayflower's custom harness is 3" wide webbing, I opted for padded, shoulder straps wrapped with RG Cordura.

-The holster is one of Bozzer's design and not the Paraclete Envelope holster.

Other bits such as how the straps would be attached to the harness and how they would adjust were all left too Bozzer.

So after settling on a final design, I got a quote from Bozzer and it came to £70GBP all in, this would cover cost of materials, labour and delivery to me.

The time quote was 6-8 weeks.

The rig was going to be made with RG 1000D Cordura, Mil Spec webbing and materials (I am not really clued up on any of this so thats about as detailed as I can get).

Unfortunately getting hold of the materials proved to be the biggest problem, everywhere seemed to be sold out. Combined with the fact that this was being done on the side of a full time job, and that Bozzer was making gear for members of the Armed Forces there were going to be inevitable delays.

Anyway, fast forward 5 or so months later I got a PM from Bozzer saying it was ready.

Here are a few pics from the man himself, don't think they need explaining

^^ Velcro pocket on each side of the main pocket for internal holster to fit in

Once again I'd like to point out that it's not meant to be a 1:1 Replica, just something based on the original rig but suited to my preference.

So I recieved it today, and was very impressed. Everything looks in order and possibly stress points where stitching may come loose have been reinforced.

There's really not much I can say to be honest, the quality is superb.

The only gripe I have with this is that the harness is a bit long for my liking, when used in its normal standard position, I find the rig sits a bit low, the bottom sits on the top of my hips. I am also one of those guys who wear the chest rig quite low, more like a belly rig,

My normal rule of thumb is if I sit down and the rig moves upwards, then it's too low. This was the case with the rig in its standard setting, it was only a bit of movement, probably around an inch, but it was enough to bother my OCD ;)

This would partly be my fault though, I did not specify how I wanted the rig to sit to Bozzer and I also rounded up the measurements he needed for the the harness e.g length of torso.

Here are some pics of what I did to the harness to make it fit a bit better

The loops on the outside of the harness were stitched down, hence why I threaded the excess strap through the inside of the harness.

And here is a pic of the inside of the rear harness, you can see the strap for the upper part of the harness as well and how it's adjusted

And here's a picture of how the rig is sitting at the moment with the folded up harness

The harness has loops sewn onto it though so I have threaded the waist strap through one of the higher loops and folded up the excess part of the mesh.

Apart from that theres not much more I can think of, please feel free to ask any questions!

Custom Chest Rig (RG)
Paraclete MBITR Pouch (SG)
Paraclete Frag Pouches x 2 (SG)
Paraclete M4 Single x 3 (SG)
Paraclete Upright GP Pouch (SG)
Paraclete .45 Double (SG)

The cordura is almost a perfect match for my SG stuff.

Last edited by tangman on Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: "Bozzer" Custom Chest Rig
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:10 pm 
Earning his keep

There was a error when I posted this and the date it says it was posted was January 1st 1970 therefore at the bottom of the forum, so here's a quick "BTTT" to get your attention :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:43 pm 

Duude that is sweet :shock: how ist the general feel of it? Sturdy? does it fit well, not loosy goosy?? have you tried hauling load on the back with the rig on?

Btw i had totaly forgotten about that Paraclete rig, i want one of those now :P
and thanks for sharing mate...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:40 pm 
Earning his keep

Hi mate,

No problems mate, happy to share!

The rig is very comfortable to wear, the load feels very evenly distributed .

The fit is pretty good as well, the only thing I can complain about is that there is some vertical play around the cordura part of the shoulder straps but this is all down to the design.

IMO you're almost always guaranteed to get a tighter fit if your chest rig is set up in an X Harness, the principle is simple, the shoulder straps are always going to be tauter across the body and have a tighter fit than 2 straps which are parallel to your body..

With the custom harness on the rig though, there is nothing really "pulling" the harness towards your body.

The straps are attached at the front via the fastex, and at the back it is just a webbing strap routed through the webbing loops sewn on the harness,.

The upper strap also works via the same principle, the strap is also just threaded through webbing loops and not stitched on.

So in effect the only things pulling the harness towards your body vertically is the weight of the items you are carrying pulling on the waist strap.

Whereas with something like the 1961A, the shoulder straps can be tightend to pull the rig closer in.

I think part of the problem is also because of the rigidity of the padded cordura.

The problem sounds a lot more exaggerated than I have made it out to be, I also experienced the same problems with my RRV and a friend's 1961A. I think it's just a common trait of H-Harnesses, they really are more suited for dudes with massive pecks imo :P

Sorry for the long post, hope you understand what I mean :)

I've not tried hauling a proper 3rd line with this yet, the closest I will probably get to is probably a Camelbak MULE which has so far been very comfortable. I don't see there being any problem. I'll get a 3 day pack and shove some weights in there and let you know how it is :lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:32 am 
The New Guy

tangman,
The rig looks good and Bozzer's work appears true to the original design. I should know.. I am the owner of the rig you linked. I know there has been a lot of interest in it; I will post some pics of it when I can and it may be for sale soon.

TR1

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:40 am 
Earning his keep

Shotgun/1st Dibs if you decide to sell it!! :oops:

Extra/more pics would be really appreciated mate :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:47 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Lookin sweet!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:24 am 

tangman wrote:

Damn it...... I need to spend less time reading on Compartmentalization Of Decay In Trees and be faster with the shotgundibsing :P i so want that paraclete rig now, Damn you Tang i blame all this on you cos i had totally forgotten about that rig and row i cant even focus on trees DAMN YOUUUUUUU :P second dibs onthe rig if all of a sudden a big branch should fall on Tangman (just kidding.. seariously just kidding)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:03 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Deleted a dubbel post.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:20 pm 
Earning his keep

I'll make sure not to move into any Avenue's from now on Fred ;)

Make anoter Viking invasion for a TA game mate and then you can fingerbang the Bozzer rig :

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:05 am 
The New Guy

tangman wrote:

Hello tangman,
Sorry about the delay in responding; it's been busy.
I have a gallery of photos here: http://www.pbase.com/t45/paraclete and the vest is currently listed on eBay and available for purchase through the bidding process. I can post a link to the auction itself if the forum policies allow it.

Best regards,
TR1

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:42 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Post it up :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:25 pm 
The New Guy

Thank you Simpen. 8)

http://tinyurl.com/r5u3y2

TR1

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:58 pm 
Earning his keep

Thought I'd post a small update on this since I last posted.

Having used this, I found that in it's stock configuration that the waist strap would bare most of the rig's weight, which after long period's became uncomfortable. I also found that once the pouches were loaded up that there was a bit too much movement for my liking.

I think this was a problem with the harness. I think the main problem was that both of the attachment straps were free floating instead of having one attached directly to the shoulder strap or harness. Just off the top of my head, all the chest rig's I have owned or seen have straps connected to the shoulder straps in some way.

I decided to find a way to attach the upper strap to the harness, I did this hoping it would help weight distribution, increase overal stability and help tighten up the whole setup so it sat tighter on the the torso.

I wanted a non permanent solution which could be reversed quickly in case it didn't work out the way I wanted it too. I bounced a few ideas around and the best one that I could come up with was to punch some holes in the straps and harness, then use some shock cord or ties to tie the two together. It's probably not the best idea or concept at all but it currently seems to be working. The only other viable option I could think of was to sew velcro onto both the strap and the harness itself, however I don't think it would have fared well under a fully loaded rig.

So I decided to go with the hole punching route.

I used hole punching pliers similar to those that saddler's use for punching new shoe lace holes or new holes for belts. Once the holes were punched, I used a lighter to seal off the edges and hopefully prevent fraying or further rips.

I then added some eyelets to all the holes. The only ones I could find in the size I wanted, were the one piece ones where you use a special pair of pliers to crimp the metal back onto itself (and trapping the material in the process). If I had a choice I would have gone with the two piece ones where you crimp two separate halves together to get a better grip on the material.

Once I had done that, I lined up the holes of the strap and harness and used some 550 cord to tie the two together.

It definitely seems to fit a lot better now and it definitely sits closer to your torso and has improved the weight distribution. Even if the amount of movement remains the same as before, I still think the mod was worth doing. There will always be a certain amount of left/right movement with chest rigs in my opinion due to there design.

Here are some pics of the mod

Here you can see the holes punched in the webbing on the harness, and on the upper strap. Eyelets have already been installed on the harness webbing.

Upper strap attached to the harness

An overall picture of the rig in it's current configuration.

Kitlist

"Bozzer" Chest Rig w/ Internal Map pocket holster
2 x Paraclete Frag Pouches
1 x Paraclete MBITR Pouch
3 x Paraclete M4 Single
1 x Paraclete Upright GP Pouch
2 x Paraclete 9mm/.45cal Single Mag pouch (mounted on Upright GP)
Otto Evolution Fist mic

Regarding the tape on the shoulder straps, the straps are simply too long so I folded some of the excess up and taped it. I would like to get the buckles repositioned and have the shoulder straps shortened eventually but Bozzer is currently tied up with other projects. It's ghetto but it works surprisingly well.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:58 pm 
I put the cute in execute

I like it a lot, and nice touch with the update! Ze thanks for sharing :D

"Blood is thicker than water... but it makes lousy lemonade!"

Offline Profile