It is currently Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:37 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Re: United Star - weird wiring problems
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:52 am 
The New Guy

I went ahead and did the 'touch' test with one end of the resistor to each of those condenser wires leaving the other end of the resistor not touching, and didn't seem to have any luck.

I tried soldering the the same end onto each of the condenser wires to see if a solid connection had to be made and that didn't seem to work either. This is probably my wiring ignorance showing, but wouldn't one end of the 1kOhm resistor have to be soldered to one of the condenser feet, and the other end to the other foot to complete the circuit? Or am I way off? When you soldered yours up aZtec, did you have a particular end touching? (For example, one end of my resistor has the Gold ring on the end, and the other has the Brown ring)

Assuming the resistor modification to the Thales mic won't work for my particular MBITR as it sits, I think I'm leaning towards either checking the wiring on the U-283 and seeing if that can be switched up, or wiring up an On/Off switch to my internal speaker that I can access through the programming cover and do things that way. (A good idea a friend came up with)

Ideally, switching around the U-283 wiring would definitely be more of a permanent fix, but I'm worried about risking the fact that all my current PTT's and headsets work perfectly in this current wiring configuration and I'm really only fiddling with things to get the speaker in order.. :?

For the 152, I purchased it from a gentlemen who did the 2 month wait, and decided he didn't have the soldering/wiring skills necessary to do the modification for PTT's to work. I too saw what you mentioned about the different versions, and personally I think it's all a hoax. The higher prices on eBay are just a premium people are willing to pay to not have to wait 2 months for one. I understand that logic as I have done it with other things, but in this instance I didn't feel the need to.

Edit: Also just to clarify...The posted wiring schemes are for your MBITR's U-283 plug and not the U-283 on the Thales mics, correct? I ask because I was looking back on a couple pictures I took for a mini-review I wrote up for the US MBITR and it seems that the wires coming from my U-283 connector into the circuit board don't have the Green, Yellow, or Blue wires on them . They're mostly Black and White...LOL.

(U-283 being in the lower right hand corner area of course)

ODA 561

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:05 am 
Earning his keep

What version of the MBITR do you have? It has a CCI sticker on top, right?
If so, the resistor has to be in parallel with the condenser.
That means: leg a of the res. touches leg x of the condenser, leg b of the res. touches leg y of the condenser. A resistor works bidirectional, otherwise you call it a diode...

Try holding it to those green and red wires that go to the speaker (there is a "spkr"-mark on the PCB)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:41 am 
The New Guy

Got both ends soldered up and it works perfectly, thanks aZtec. 8) As for the MBITR itself, I do have the sticker on mine and I assume it's the most recent version. (Got it in around 3 weeks ago)

Here's the end result with the resistor soldered into place on the hand mic...

I went ahead and tried plugging it into the TRI 152 since it has the same problem the United Star did with the internal speaker and unfortunately it didn't cure the problem on that radio like it did with the US. (Didn't really expect it to, to be perfectly honest) I'm still trying to work at getting the guts out of that one without breaking anything before I write up a full review on it. It's got a very similar metal casing like the United Star has, only it's about ten times as hard to remove since there really isn't any definitive seam in the shell, and they have used their ''waterproofing'' substance to essentially glue it into the plastic shell. :evil:

ODA 561

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:41 am 
Earning his keep

Damn, those chinese engineers can't get shit right it seems!
Glad you got the mbitr prob worked out.
Does the PRC-152 give any feedback with mic/spk acc.? Or what exactly is the problem with it?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:43 am 
The New Guy

Haha...agreed.

If you're just expecting a radio by itself out of it, the 152 is very nice and definitely better than the United Star on the surface. Built a bit better than the United Star in terms of ruggedness, has the same if not better transmitting power, more adjustable menus and features, has the ability for sub channels unlike the United Star, and has a nicer battery locking system and external buttons/switches than the United Star.

Where it fails in my opinion, is the connectivity with PTT's/Headsets, and in terms of servicing/disassembly. The U-283 connector is definitely not a mil-spec connector, and is definitely made by them in house. The 6-pins on the connector have such weak springs that you can push down all six with only your pinky finger. This makes it so the plug can be connected very easily, but it means it comes off very easily as well.

As for servicing/modifying it, I've had the thing for three or four days now and still haven't figured out how to get the internal housing out of the radio body without making some sort of drastic modification or completely breaking the thing. Whereas the United Star has the two piece design that slides apart, on the 152 the internal housing appears to be glued in around the edges with the rubberized waterproofing material they use. It's been driving me nuts trying to figure it out, so much so I'm really leaning towards selling it now before the hype of having a functioning PRC-152 that can smash bricks wears off. :lol:

ODA 561

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:08 pm 
Earning his keep

Do you also have the problem, that the internal speakers don't mute when you connect a handset / ptt-headset?
Also, when you put in the orings that come stock with most 6 ping plugs, the connection won't come loose.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: United Star - weird wiring problems
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:12 am 
The New Guy

Thats if you use real handsets yes. I use a real Thales speaker mic and every time i push the PTT the Units speaker comes on while i am transmiting.

And also has anyone done a review on the PRC 152?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:30 am 
The New Guy

Can anyone explain for me exactly what I have to do when my radio speaker turns on at the same time as my RS Thaler handmic ?

Good and simple explaining

Radio: TRi PRC 152
PTT: Thaler handmic (RS)
headphones: MSA Sordin without bom mic

Offline Profile  

Post subject: United Star - weird wiring problems
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:57 am 
The New Guy

That happens because the impendence issue. It happens to any RS speaker mics. Not much you do about it. Unless you open it up compltely and rewire the bugger

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:17 pm 
The New Guy

Ok . Then I have to go and bay 1kohm resistor ;)

Have you mod yours Dj218b ? And resistor mod works ?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:57 pm 
The New Guy

Now I have solid the resistor .. But nothing changes :/ same problem .. Sound from speaker (radio ) and THALES hand speaker.

Do I have to change the pins in the u329/u plug ??

Best reg
Christian

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:53 am 
Part of the furniture

i have a quite weird problem with my US 148. It worked fine before, but after trying to put in an amp (see image) which i didn't get to work at all i can only transmit through mic but not receive. All the sound i get in to the radio is a repeated clicking sound. Did i break anything?
is the thingamajig i built.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:38 pm 
The New Guy

Would You been so kind to write the capacitor's specs ?
I mean voltage rating and how many farad.

I'm trying to arrange a salvaged Thales mic and missing the capacitor's info.

Thanks so much !

jdizzle921 wrote:
@marre- I'll be sure to put up some info when I get a chance to write up the review for a local forum. I've been severely inactive the last few months and am just now getting back into things. :D

@aZtec- I went out and grabbed some resistors and am gonna give a go when I check out your photo as I am completely ignorant when it comes to working circuit boards and how they work. (No rush, I just want to make sure I do it correctly and copy your working mic instead of botching things up :shock: ) I uploaded a pic of one of my speaker mics below as well.

I agree with you about the mics working with some radios and not others. I have two of the Thales Hand mics for my MBITRS and they worked perfectly fine on the ToySoldier PRC-148 which in comparison to the United Star, is supposed to be the cheaper and inferior radio. I wish just one of the manufacturers would take all the feedback they hear from users off the internet, and make one radio that will work the way it's supposed to out of the box. :roll:

As for the internal radio wiring, I've had no problems with the U-283 wiring on mine so far, so I'm hoping I might have to do the Thales mic and everything will be working good. I've tested it so far with both a MSA/U-94 and a Peltor PTT switch with a pair of Comtac II's, MSA Sordins, TRI Comtac III's, (Bought em' as a 'feeler' to gauge TRI's overall quality) a Battle Rhion Bone Mic replica, and a Sonetronics H-250 handset and all transmitted and received fine.

In comparing the Thales Hand mic to the Sonetronics H-250, the 250 muted the internal MBITR speaker when connected. I suspect it worked fine because my 250 has one of the older 5-pin U-283 connectors on it, and not a 6-pin.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:32 pm 
The New Guy

Just open the mil connector and short pins A and E
that will work with ANY 6 pin milspec connector and any headset with the TRI PRC-152

Appel82 wrote:
Can anyone explain for me exactly what I have to do when my radio speaker turns on at the same time as my RS Thaler handmic ?

Good and simple explaining

Radio: TRi PRC 152
PTT: Thaler handmic (RS)
headphones: MSA Sordin without bom mic

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:36 pm 
The New Guy

Just SHORT pin A and E of the connector and it will work

Appel82 wrote:
Now I have solid the resistor .. But nothing changes :/ same problem .. Sound from speaker (radio ) and THALES hand speaker.

Do I have to change the pins in the u329/u plug ??

Best reg
Christian

Offline Profile