It is currently Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:34 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: WMX200 IR Rating?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:49 pm 
I can't work for assholes

Does anyone know the IR output for the WMX200? I've got a Surefire M952V but the WMX200 offers a better package. Not sure if the 50lumen vis output increase is worth the squeeze however.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: WMX200 IR Rating?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:47 am 
Part of the furniture

Only found a couple of data sheets stating <45mW, which seems rather low compared to competitors (surefire M952V & M620V have 120mW, Inforce WML boasts 75mW on high).
Looks like it's meant for close nav more than illumination/identification.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:19 pm 

That's about what I've found too. Looks like I'll be holding on to the M952V. I've got a 600U for longer distance PID, so really just looking for a good close-in light. No reason to sink the coin into the WMX200 if the 952V already is similar in performance.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:31 pm 
Part of the furniture

Not sure whether you are just looking for a nav light, but if you do, granted you got some real estate left on your rails, you should give the Princeton Tec switch rail a try. It's low pro, lightweight, IR/visible light capable and overall inexpensive, and I found it to be a good complement to any tactical illumination system... Kinda remind me the old M900 leds that I loved so much.
And considering it's a separate device, it also helps preventing negligent light discharge...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:31 am 

I was talking to a guy who is issued one and I asked him how the IR illum compared to that on the LA5 and he said "Its broader and brighter than pretty much anything Ive used."

Take that for what it's worth..

Blog: http://www.dnkholdings.net/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:40 pm 

danneskjold - Interesting. According to this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr-WuIXaTKo) it's 45mw of energy. Surefire's is 120mw of energy. The difference seems to be that the beam is completely diffused.

That being said, the WMX200 does offer a higher white light lumen output than the M952V... But that's not my primary concern for the light.

jack - Not looking for a nav light, I've got enough lights on me already, more looking for a close-range IR flood to complement a PEQ (which the WMX200 is designed for, but so is the M952V).

Until I can see a WMX200 v. the 952V under NODs, I'm going to stick with the 952V since it's common switchology for me and it's a proven performer. No reason to sink money into something that doesn't offer a clear advantage. The only reason I can think of as to why the WMX200 is a must-have replacement is integration with a PEQ with that pivot arm, but again - there are mounting solutions (HSP's Thorntail/Dropwing line) that help overcome that as well the OEM M93 mount for rifle mounts.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:18 am 
Earning his keep

Dude dump the 952V. I've had 3 and they all start flickering sooner or later. One had a round count of over 2k while another had less than 50 rounds. I sent it back to SF to get em all fixed and 2/3 started to do it again. It's also a well known issue with a lot of people experiencing the same and SF acknowledges it.

They have a high power WMX200 and a standard power WMX200. I think danneskjold is talking about the high power variant. Not sure what the IR strength is on the high power.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:19 pm 

I've heard of that. This is a new model KM3 head, no issues yet, but if it starts going wonky then I'll probably follow that recommendation. I still trust Surefire over Insight flashlights, and the Surefire reps I've worked with have been nothing short of stellar for us.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:43 pm 

I've still got my M952V, but I found a brand new WMX200 fixed mount for sale for an amazing price, so I've picked it up. Once it comes in I'll get the two under NODs and try to take some photos to compare.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:17 pm 
Part of the furniture

Yes please, curious about the result!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:34 am 

Initial impressions are positive.

Heading out the door to fight communism. When I get back I'll get it under NODs on video.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:35 am 

After the initial assessment indoors, I had a chance to take the WMX out for a spin. Waiting on a replacement prism assembly for my MHRS since I stepped on it while swapping out the assembly for a regular amber filter, so in the mean time I can just offer my observations outdoors with 10%-20% illum instead of the video I had wanted to make.

The WMX is NOT a target identifier - it's an area flood. Makes sense, but somewhat disappointing. Probably not going to keep the WMX since the M952V is a much tighter and focused distance beam.

Once I get the replacement prism in I'll get some video indoors and outdoors at one of the training areas to help illustrate the difference.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:23 pm 

Had to send the MHRS Dashboard back for warranty work, so no video anytime soon, sorry. In the meantime, I'm ditching the WMX200. It's well-made, the white light is good, but the IR? No focus, just straight flood, and it's not very useful outside. This is a function of the IR LED on the WMX200 being placed in front of the reflector, so there's no focus of the beam what so ever. After trying it out in my house, in a field, on a night fire range (I gave my WMX200 to one shooter and the M952V on the next, and a Streamlight TLR-VIR on the next rifle and watched them shoot) and in a training shoot house at night, I can't think of a single reason I'd keep the WMX200 over the M952V for my purposes.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:33 am 
Earning his keep

Not sure which version you have but if you have the one marked IR-H you can get a pretty penny for it over on AR15.com.

All the clone builders want one and are willing to pay from what I can tell.

Offline Profile