It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:12 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Protective case for iPhone 5
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:47 pm 
Quite OK actually

Hi guys

Hope this fits here.

With new job, I think my phone could be protected better (or protected at all, as it's still naked).

I don't take it with me for diving holidays, but it could happen that it (or me with it in the pockets) get wet by accident. And I just don't need the hassle with a broken phone.

So, I'm after a case which is waterproof, somewhat shockproof and not as big as a brick.
Need to be able to operate it without restrictions, also don't want to don or doff the case every time. So the lower the profile, the better it's for everyday use, and that's what I'm looking for.

It does not have to survive a tank rolling over it, but if it falls out the pocket, I get wet ot it gets handled a bit rough, I want it to take no damage.

What cases do you guys have, which experiences did you make, what can you recommend or vote against?

Hope for a good discussion with lots of information.

Thanks!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Protective case for iPhone 5
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:51 pm 
The New Guy

I'd say Lifeproof. Well a few ago I'd have said that. Their cases are not bulky, waterproof, dust proof and scratch proof.
Well it's supposed to be. After 3 weeks of usage I had a dust inside the case. Ok maybe a bad installation on my side. But worse I have a nice V shaped scratch (1/4 inch) due I guess to rubbing with my pocket folding knife.
So not super happy on these points, but it keeps the weight and bulk down.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:13 am 
Part of the furniture

How often do you use your earbuds with your iPhone. I have a Lifeproof for my iPhone 4 and it's waterproof if either the plug for the earbud port is screwed shut or the waterproof adapter in attached. As for getting dust into the case, it normally happens when you open and shut the charging port cover.

-Vic

"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman." -Thomas Paine

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:12 pm 
Quite OK actually

Thanks for the answers.

I don't use the earbuds often, so that's not a problem. Also it's not a sandy environment, so that bit of dust/sand coming in while attaching earbuds or charging it isn't an issue for me.

Thanks for the hint with the scratch. Will continue to have this in another pocket than knife and keys.

Guess for taking it out, not doing any extreme stuff and just for everyday use it's exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks gents for your help!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:12 pm 
Not completely useless

Just picked up a lifeproof Fre case for my 5s, so far I'm very impressed, I was previously using a Griffin survivor , which held up well but was very bulky.

For context, I'm in the building/contract trade, my work varies from plastering to roofing, very dusty, dirty and in all elements.

The griffin although not fully waterproof certainly held up well, in 18monjths of use my iPhone 4S looks nearly new.

I'm really liking the lifeproof though, very light,slim etc... Worth the money?.. Only time will tell, but a £600 phone deserves a good case IMO ,so it was worth a try.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:00 pm 
The New Guy

I also recommand lifreproof !
i got one, for my 4s and, i think my phone would be dead without this amazing case !

One day, i was rappeling a 20 meters chimney, i was on the top my phone fell . :(
i was thinking '' Ok... i had just lost 500 € ... Goodbye gearstuff ...'' :cry:
But finally the lifeproof case saved my phone and it looks as new.
The case was just damaged a little near the speakers , with scratch on the screen protection .
i sent a warranty request to lifeproof and they send me a new case :)

More over lifeproof case have tactical color : FDE and OD

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:25 pm 
Quite OK actually

I'll add another vote for Lifeproof. I use one with my iPhone 5, as do several family members. In addition to swimming laps with it, we're horse people, so my phone gets knocked around a little bit in the barn and the case has stood up really well to the punishment. I don't like bulk, and although this case does add a good bit of length, it's still much more streamlined than something like an Otter case.

One other thing - shortly after the iPhone 5 came out and I got the first Lifeproof case for it they realized they were having some issues with the cases, including muffled sound and some touchscreen issues. They replaced mine and I assume many others with new and improved cases for free, so their customer service is good.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:27 pm 
Quite OK actually

Finally got my Lifeproof-cover, and it feels very nice I have to admit.
Only thing I don't like, is the fact of the slight rainbow-bubbles between screen and protector. Probably I get them out eventually.
Otherwise I'll just see how it performs.

Thanks all you guys for your advice toward this cover!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:53 am 
Part of the furniture

The rainbow bubbles tend to happen if you get some form of oil between the case and the screen. I used some 90% rubbing alcohol to clean both my iPhone and the inside of the case, let them dry, and then installed it. This prevented the whole rainbow problem.

-Vic

"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman." -Thomas Paine

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:10 pm 
The New Guy

Bit of a warning regarding the Lifeproof cases... I got one for my iPhone 4S year ago. I tested it as per the instructions and all seemed to be well. I used my phone in the snow, sleet and rain and was relatively comfortable with the level of protection the case offered. Then, one day, I fell into the sea with my phone in my pocket. This is not unusual for me and was actually one of the reasons I got the case. I was in the water for 15 seconds or so before I managed to climb out, but that was enough, water got in and killed my phone. The seal on the flap that secures the charging port had failed.

I contacted Lifeproof about this and after months of fighting with them (possibly the worst customer service experience I've ever had), sending them photo's and video, I managed to get a new case out of them. I got a new phone from the insurance and used the new case with it and after about a year of daily use, charging port cover on it failed completely, eventually not even staying closed.

The Lifeproof cases for the iPhone 5 appear to have exactly the same type of closure on the charging port cover, which is a thoroughly terrible design. I'd not trust another Lifeproof case as long as they have what I consider to be an innate flaw and I suggest you be careful with your phone as well, don't drop it into a pint just so show off your cool new case. ;-)

Offline Profile