It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:01 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: crye airframe vs opscore
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:32 am 
The New Guy

has anyone tried the armour source ACH helmet.
they claim its the lightest ACH around.

HEBRON, Ohio, March 17, 2010 /PRNewswire/ -- ArmorSource LLC of Hebron Ohio, one of four U.S. DOD approved vendors of Advanced Combat Helmet (ACH) to the U.S. Army; recently successfully completed the delivery of 110,000 ACH's and has just been awarded a new four-year contract for the supply of lightweight ballistic helmets to NATO, through its procurement department of NAMSA at Europe. Final quantity has not yet been determined.
"This order proves that ArmorSource is effectively a leading vendor of advanced ballistic solutions, not only to the U.S. Government, but also to its allies," said Yoav Kapah, ArmorSource President.
ArmorSource has submitted NATO its new, ultra- lightweight solution: the 'AS-501'. "The AS-501 is designed to exceed the ballistic fragmentation resistance as defined and determined by most Armies, but with a significant weight reduction of approximately 30%, which means 0.5 pounds (quarter Kg) on the soldier's head as compared to the standard ACH," adds Yoav Kapah.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:58 pm 
The New Guy

I was issued the Ops Core FAST Ballistic High Cut helmet about 4 years ago. When we first got them, they were the original version with the clip bungees instead of the hooks and the thinner forehead pad. They have since been upgraded with the new hardware and are now much more comfortable.

I have also gotten an AirFrame through work and have been playing with that for about a month. Here's my take:

FAST -
The FAST helmet is the gold standard in stability. The OCC dial is hard to beat and keeps the helmet rock solid on your head when running NVG's of any type. This is all because of the fit band that goes around the head. It's also nice to have the ability to weave my headset between the shell and fit band. However, I have found that the fit band is a double edged sword. It can become uncomfortable to wear over extended periods of time because it is wrapping your head so tight. It tends to produce pressure points. The dial itself, can also cause some interference when going prone or looking up to a high angle because it wants to dig into the back of my neck. It is vertically adjustable, but if I move it higher, it digs into the bottom of my head all the time. And, while I mentioned the ability to weave the headset before as being nice, sometimes I need to wear my headset, but not my helmet. It's a pain to have to remove it every time. And, if I just wear the headset without weaving it, the fit band tends to press it into my temples. The one thing I will outright say is that I hate the Ops Core pads. They are hard and they dig into my head. But, it's an easy fix by just swapping them out with MICH pads. Overall, the FAST is a great improvement over the MICH and I like it a lot. My complaints tend to be more about the OCC dial than the helmet as a whole.

https://www.tnvc.com/shop/ops-core-fast-ballistic-shell/

AirFrame -
The AiFrame is really lightweight and comfortable to wear over extended periods. The shell design is really innovative and the passive venting actually makes a big difference in cooling the head. I like the pad system/layout too. It uses standard Team Wendy pads in conjunction with front and rear Crye-marked pads. Very comfortable. The design of the helmet also allows it wrap around the head more in the back. This provides more coverage in the back, while also conforming to the curvature of the head, making it easier to go prone while wearing armor. The chinstrap is Ops Core, so it's good to go. While it is not as stable as the OCC, it is generally stable enough for ANVIS or PVS-15 with a counterweight on the back.

https://www.tnvc.com/shop/crye-precision-airframe-ballistic-helmet/

http://www.tnvc.com/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:29 pm 
The New Guy

good comparison guys.
im going with the airframe.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:40 pm 
Not completely useless

One thing thats important to me.
You can wear your sordin Headset under your side armour by using the Airframe.
When you are using the opscore you cant use your sordin and your side armour at the helmet.

scooty

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:13 am 
The New Guy

Any word of a XL Airframe at SHOT show? I'm at the verrrry end of the spectrum for a Large.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:02 pm 
Not completely useless

Does anybody know if it is possible to buy the crye airframe for people outside USA?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:24 pm 
I can't work for assholes

I haven't seen any shops outside of US sell them, so no, not legally anyway.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:51 am 
Quite OK actually

Level Peaks Associates distribute Crye in the UK and Europe. They do carry, or can at least get hold of the Airframe. However they'll only sell it to you if you're serving military personnel, or with some form of defense for owning ballistic armour. That being said; LPA no longer sell directly (which is a shame as they were fantastic) so you'd have to go through one of their re-sellers (personal recommendation - Trojan Tactical in the UK).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:49 pm 
Not completely useless

Blackjack13 wrote:
Level Peaks Associates distribute Crye in the UK and Europe. They do carry, or can at least get hold of the Airframe. However they'll only sell it to you if you're serving military personnel, or with some form of defense for owning ballistic armour. That being said; LPA no longer sell directly (which is a shame as they were fantastic) so you'd have to go through one of their re-sellers (personal recommendation - Trojan Tactical in the UK).

Thanks for the Information buddy
Well, I am from Israel
but I will give it a try :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:39 pm 
The New Guy

I have 2 questions, one on each. I read somewhere (I cant remember if it was on this forum or not) that they claimed the airframe in size medium is REALLY small, is this true?

And for the ops core, just a simple question. On TNVC, they say for the firstspear helmet cover, get a size smaller if you are not using the FAST ballistic. So that means if I wear a M/L for the base jump, and I want a ballistic, for it to fit the same I should get the S/M right?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:20 pm 
Earning his keep

The medium airframe is incredibly small. I wear a medium lid usually and I can't fit one on my noggin comfortably, I have a large and its a touch too big but not enough to matter.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:53 pm 
The New Guy

Regarding the dial liners not being very comfortable. It's common for a particular group of guys to remove the dial liner and add an H strap and pads:

Last edited by joefriday22 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:39 am 
Quite OK actually

JoeFriday22, do you think the Bruins will go all the way this year?

Last edited by thomasjane on Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:42 am 
The New Guy

No.

Last edited by joefriday22 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:54 am 
Quite OK actually

That's fantastic. Thanks for posting!

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next