It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:09 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Real Ops-Core FAST XP High Cut?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:39 pm 
Part of the furniture

For those who can spot replica Ops-Core helmets, I'm wondering if this one looks legit. I figure the inside is where the real difference is seen.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Real Ops-Core FAST XP High Cut?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:48 pm 
I can't work for assholes

Yep, legit. The logo gives it away. Fakes/chinese clones don't have that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:03 pm 
Part of the furniture

That's what I was thinking, but wanted to be sure. I picked up this for $675 shipped. It's multicam dipped, but used with minor scratches on the outershell and edge.

I've always wanted to check out how a FAST fits and thought for this price I'd try it out and figured I could at least get my money back on it if I didn't like it (hopefully).

Speaking of multicam dipped, does the U.S. military issue multicam dipped FASTs? I'm not thinking so, so figure this might be a contractor used lid. It's amount of use leads me to believe it was used more than just for range and training.

For some reason I'm not a fan of multicam dipped, preferring multicam covers if I want the camo, so I may repaint this into a custom "snakeskin" style. Not sure yet though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:14 pm 

I saw that, it was a good price. I don't know about dipped Multicam, but SOCOM issues AOR, tan and green FAST helmets (not Foliage Green, OD green). I don't see why not, or it could be a personal purchase from before the FAST helmets received wisespread fielding (most likely, IMO).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:17 pm 
Part of the furniture

As always, thanks for your input!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:53 pm 
Not completely useless

B-RAD
can you write what is better, more comfortable for you, FAST or Airframe?
(I remember that you also have an airframe, correct me if I am wrong :) )

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:03 pm 
Part of the furniture

Yep I do and certainly will. :)

I will tell you first off, that I have a large Airframe and was able to try out a medium first. The medium felt too snug and I felt increasing pressure on my forehead. So I went with a large and it felt a hair too big. I think my head is just in the middle of the two sizes. So I want to see if the FAST fits my head better.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:24 pm 
Not completely useless

B-Rad wrote:
Yep I do and certainly will. :)

I will tell you first off, that I have a large Airframe and was able to try out a medium first. The medium felt too snug and I felt increasing pressure on my forehead. So I went with a large and it felt a hair too big. I think my head is just in the middle of the two sizes. So I want to see if the FAST fits my head better.

I have the same problem with airframe and the most helmets, but also for a lot of people the medium size airframe is too small, so large is the average size for an airframe I guess...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:32 am 
Part of the furniture

I recalled loads of pictures around the internet showing Rangers with Multicam FAST helmets...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:40 am 
Part of the furniture

desert_eagle wrote:
B-RAD
can you write what is better, more comfortable for you, FAST or Airframe?
(I remember that you also have an airframe, correct me if I am wrong :) )

So, I’ve had a chance to do a little running and gunning (dry fire) cqb style and tested out three helmets; the MSA TC 2002 “Gunfighter”, Crye Airframe, and Ops-core FAST High Cut. I’ll compare them below.

Caveat: This test was done on MY head. Other differently sized and shaped heads will have different results.

First, stats on each helmet.

MSA TC 2002 Gunfighter
Size: Medium
Pads: Oregon Aero size 6 in the back and ZAP ¾” in the front.
Harness: Ops-core H-nape S/M
NVG Mount: USGI

Crye Airframe
Size: Large (medium was too tight on my head)
Pads: Standard with 1” ACH pads at each temple
Harness: Ops-core H-nape S/M
NVG Mount: Norotos 1-Hole

Ops-core FAST
Size: M/L
Pads & Harness: Occ-dial Liner Kit that is very broken in.
NVG Mount: VAS

Conditions: I wear a size 7 1/8 patrol cap. I used PVS-14s with dual-dovetail and Norotos AKA2. Nothing else on the helmets including no comms.

First, I tried each helmet on without the NODs and each felt just about equal in weight and all were comfortable. I then decided to get down into the prone. I was also wearing an LBT-6094 with plates.

Prone test: The TC 2002 was by far the most comfortable in the prone. The Airframe was second, and the FAST was borderline uncomfortable. I believe the TC 2002 was most comfortable because the back is the highest of the three, but the Airframe and FAST cover the neck more as a result. The dial in the FAST dug into my neck making it the least comfortable, particularly when lifting my head above the rifle sights. I would guess if the FAST had a regular H-nape, it would probably be on par with the Airframe.

Room clearing without NODs: Each helmet performed about equally here, though the dial was definitely noticeable on my neck.

Room clearing with NODs in the up position: With this test, the Airframe performed poorest, but really only slightly. Even with it very tight on my head, the Airframe had the most side to side wobble. I believe this is due more to my head being a hair too small for a large Airframe. Back and forward motion was perfectly fine though. The TC 2002 and FAST felt about the same. THEN I realized I had not tightened the dial! So I did and the FAST performed MUCH better.

Room clearing in the dark with NODs on: The Airframe again had the most side to side wobble. Not horrible by any means, just to most of the three. The TC 2002 performed only slightly better than the Airframe, but I felt more downward pull than on the Airframe. The Airframe felt more balanced than the TC 2002. The FAST felt very secure as I did my quick maneuvers. I even over-exaggerated some and the FAST stayed very tight to my head.

Conclusion: In this very small sample test, on MY head, the FAST outperformed both the Airframe and TC 2002 with the NODs, as long as I tightened the dial, which for some I understand can be uncomfortable and lead to headaches. It felt fine on my head while standing with no noticeable pressure points for the short time I wore it. Without NODs, I’d say probably the TC 2002 was the most comfortable, followed by the Airframe (due to sizing) and then the FAST, last place due to the dial pressing on my neck. There is really no need to tighten the dial without NODs. I believe the Airframe would have performed better if it fit me better. Also, the fact that the FAST’s liner and pads were very broken in most likely made it feel more comfortable than a new FAST would have been.

Honorable Mention: The Airframe felt overall cooler on my head.

Overall, none of the helmets performed so badly in any way to make me not want to use them, as should be expected. And probably nothing I mentioned should be of any surprise.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:00 am 
Not completely useless

thanks a lot of the review B-Rad!
I also have an Airframe and an TC2002 from Armoursource
For me its important that a helmet is comfortable in the prone position, I kinda surprised that the ops core did perform bad in it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:53 pm 

Replacing the OCC-Dial with the lux-liner or pads with a standard h-nape makes all the difference in the world.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:40 pm 
Part of the furniture

desert_eagle wrote:
For me its important that a helmet is comfortable in the prone position, I'm kinda surprised that the ops core did perform bad in it.

I don't know if I'd say it performed bad, just worst of the three. The Occ-dial gets caught between the neck and back of the helmet and is rigid so it just causes me to strain more to get my head into position in the prone. The Occ-dial has no give so the more you strain against it, the more uncomfortable it is, but does not prevent gaining the prone positioning you want. The H-nape, or even the Cam-fit would eliminate the issue I'm sure, so it's not the Ops-core itself, but the Occ-dial.

pkm - My thought on putting a regular H-nape in it is that I would loose the added tightness that was so nice to have when wearing NODs. I'm thinking the Cam-fit might be a better option to be less rigid on the neck, but still provide the stabilizing capability. Any thoughts on that?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:12 pm 

The Cam-Fit will certainly do that. I just got a helmet with Cam-Fit today, it's miles better than the OCC-dial. The helmet is too small but I'm going to keep the cam-fit to try out.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:34 pm 
Part of the furniture

Good to hear! I'll pick one up from TNVC.

Offline Profile